Picture of Andy Muir
Help Getting Started
by Andy Muir - Friday, 31 January 2014, 12:57 PM

Hello All

I have been eagerly awaiting release of the Adapt framework. Im not a hard core techie, but I can do a fair bit of programming in javascript, Jquery etc, coming from a flash background. Alas I am having real problems following the Setting up your environment guide. I am hoping someone can guide a novice, as I am getting a bit confused with the command line prompts etc.

I have installed node.js and Git and ran the first three lines

$ npm install adapt-cli -g
$ npm install grunt-cli -g
$ npm install bower -g

using the "Node.js command prompt" which seemed to work.

Q1) Does it matter which directory I am in when I do this?

I then used the Git bash command line to clone the framework-master but running third line $ npm install gave me error sh.exe":npm: command not found.

Q2) when using Git bash, where does it clone to? I cant seem to fine the folder on my local PC anywhere

So I just downloaded the zip file.

Back to the node.js command prompt for the next bit

$ adapt install - didn't seem to throw any errors, or any message at all so presume it worked.

$ grunt build
$ grunt server

but the next two lines both throw up errors

Fatal error: unable to find local grunt.

Q3) Are you supposed to be running these lines from same folder as the adapt master file I downloaded? If I try to run $adapt install from this folder I get error Oh dear, something went wrong. Im terribly sorry. git is not installed or not in the path but this time the $ grunt build does work to a degree - with errors about no such directory C:\Adapt\src\templates\templates.js (the folder templates doesnt appear to exist).

Sorry if this post is rather noobish! hope someone can help me get started!

Thanks

Andy

Picture of Brian Quinn
Re: Help Getting Started
by Brian Quinn - Friday, 31 January 2014, 1:50 PM

Hi Andy,

It's correct that you've used Git Bash to clone the framework.  By default this will place the Adapt files it into a folder called adapt_framework.  Can you firstly confirm you have this?

If so, you'll need to navigate to this adapt_framework folder using the Node.js Command Prompt (not Git Bash) and run the npm install command from here.  You should see some output after this step, at which point you can run "adapt install" and the rest of the commands you've mentioned above

Hope this helps.

Brian.

Picture of Mathew Gancarz
by Mathew Gancarz - Friday, 31 January 2014, 2:52 PM

Hi Andy, when you use git bash and clone it, it will create the adapt_framework directory in whichever directory you had been in with the git bash prompt. I think this will default to your user home directory or right on the C drive.

The npm install command line needs to be run from the node.js command prompt, in the directory you had cloned or unzipped adapt to.

I think you'll need to run that before you can proceed with adapt install.

Picture of Andy Muir
by Andy Muir - Friday, 31 January 2014, 3:25 PM

Hi Brian, Mathew, 

Thanks both for reply. You are right, I found the clone in my users forder - adapt/framework/

I navigated here using npm command line and ran $ npm install. Midway through this I noticed big red error message flash up. And when i ran $ adapt install I also got an error. See attached.

Any advise? I have got .Net Framework 4 installed and MS Visual C++

Do I need something else?

Thanks

Andy

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Friday, 31 January 2014, 3:51 PM

Hi Andy,

It looks like you have more than one issue here tbh.

The "git is not installed..." message should be fixed by trying the steps outlined here http://blog.countableset.ch/2012/06/07/adding-git-to-windows-7-path/ (+1 to   Matthew who pointed this one out in another thread)

Doing this should get the adapt install command working.

The Big Red Error message is Karma failing to install. This shouldn't affect your ability to create course etc. but if you were looking to contribute to the core then you might need to go through these steps

Picture of Kev Adsett
by Kev Adsett - Friday, 31 January 2014, 3:43 PM

Hi Andy, it's worth noting as well that Adapt install will definitely tell you once it's been successful, you will see something like the following:

Adapt install success

Good luck getting to that stage!

Picture of Andy Muir
by Andy Muir - Friday, 31 January 2014, 4:18 PM

I really appreciate all the replies guys. Followed the guide, added the Windows Environment Variables/Path Window.

git help -g seems to work OK, but now I get a new error when I run $ adapt install.

Tried to start again from the beginning, but still same error?

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Friday, 31 January 2014, 4:30 PM

Hey Andy,

I'm hoping this post helps. Sounds like a similar problem and a problem we're encountering with windows

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=116

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Friday, 31 January 2014, 4:44 PM

Out of interest what do you get if you run

git ls-remote --tags --heads git://github.com/darylhedley/adapt-contrib-vanilla.git

from the framework folder?

Picture of Andy Muir
by Andy Muir - Friday, 31 January 2014, 5:04 PM

Hi Chris

When I run that I get the error

fatal: unable to connect to github.com:
github.com[0: 192.30.252.129]: errno=No error

Is that some sort of proxy/firewall issue? I am one of the few people in my company that connects to the internet without proxy as I cant update my Adobe Creative Cloud Software behind it.

I am going to try this at home on my personal laptop over weekend, see how it goes there.

Picture of Andy Muir
by Andy Muir - Monday, 3 February 2014, 10:26 AM

Hi All

Thanks for you help on Friday. Got it working first time at home without issue.

It was a firewall issue, and after doing some reading I found the solution. Type

git config --global url."https://".insteadOf git://

into console then $ adapt install works :D

Picture of Nathan Marshall
by Nathan Marshall - Monday, 3 February 2014, 1:21 PM

Thanks for that post Andy. I've just done a fresh install and encountered the same issue. I've now managed to install it. :)

Let the fun begin.

Picture of Rae Long
by Rae Long - Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 2:50 PM

Hei!

Has any one developed a hit list for installation for 64x windoze 7?

If not ok. If you have I would like to go through the steps and create a tutorial.
Adapt foundation looks very nice and I bet a few marriages would be saved, far less cigarettes would be smoked, and a new love would not be missed, and sports and music would not be missed after school if there was some kind of simple guide.

Although I do love the comments about reading manuals and all of this kind of thing, however, sometimes, it is good to have a clearly written guide like:

1. Download this.1st
2. Download this.2nd
3. Download this.3rd

4. Install this.1st
etc.
5. Add environment variables in windoze 7 like this:

click machinename-->properties--> etc------

6. launch node.js
type $ npm install adapt-cli -g
$ npm install grunt-cli -g

Etc....etc...I will write it and make it look nice if someone sends me the exact working details.
And make it available in interactive form.
I have yet to get everything working and would like to use this.
It is not a matter of not knowing or not reading it is a matter of time for a lot of people.
We should not need to apologize for being a noobie, or a light programmer.

I started on UNIX in 1989. Heavy 3D software. I figured it out. It would be nice to just have clearly written instructions with IF statements...IF this error happens do this.

Thanks! in advance

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 3:35 PM

Hello Rae,

We do have this on our wiki 

https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Setting-up-your-development-environment

If you would like to contribute then we would welcome any additions and improvements.

Cheers!

Chris

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 3:56 PM

Shouldn't be anything different for 64-bit Windows, that's what many of us are using I suspect

The ultimate simplification for all this will be the Adapt Authoring Tool (currently being feverishly worked on) which, whilst I'm sure will require a small amount of technical know-how - and probably a bit of reading too, sorry - to get running, should thereafter not require technical knowledge if you want to build and publish content.

We've been gathering some of the common issues here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Common-Issues - if you have time to contribute anything to this list that'd be most welcome as it's often difficult to get enough info about the issues people encounter to make them worth documenting.