Picture of Derek Chirnside
Adapt Builder | Basic questions
by Derek Chirnside - Monday, 1 August 2016, 2:52 AM

1. What is the difference between a section and a page?
  2. What is the simplest way to achieve this: a course with pages:

I cannot figure out if this is a menu or some settings in the page that links them together.
  3. Does anyone have tips on the best way to plan a course on paper or a whiteboard.
    I'm thinking something like this:
    • Create each page
    • Create a menu to navigate between pages.
    • Maybe have a locking setup so they need to complete several of the earlier pages first.
    • Done!!
      Or do you need to create a menu first and then add pages to it.
  4. I was also trying to figure out the pros and cons of having a box menu linked to pages - or just page to page navigation and no menu.  Starting out with a very simple structure.

Very basic questions I know!!

Regards,

-Derek

Re: Adapt Builder | Basic questions
by Derek Chirnside - Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 1:36 AM

Day two of working with this.

I have completed three pages, I initially got an error "Some pages, no components" when I hit Preview, but now this is OK.

Q1: The first page has never shown up in Preview.  It just hangs with the spinner.  I had an image, but I removed it and no different.  Any comments?

Q2: When I click on a menu I get this, with no links or anything.  Not sure where to click.

I have read the help here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-boxmenu/wiki

Onwards.

-Derek

Re: Adapt Builder | Basic questions | Downloading error
by Derek Chirnside - Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 2:17 AM

Q1 solved.  I deleted a hot graphic in the offending page, and it now works.

Q3: final post for the day.  Now that I have three pages, some pictures, text etc I thought I'd download and deploy in Moodle.  I get this error:

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, stat '/storage/adapt_authoring/temp/573207a1fde499ee3ab79fde/adapt_framework/courses/573af91cb62630b25b323011/579ea518949dea2128f1f6bf/download.zip'
   at Error (native)

-Derek

Picture of Stephen Harlow
by Stephen Harlow - Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 11:58 PM

Hi Derek

Great to see another Kiwi playing with Adapt! As I'm just about to do it, I'll explain my process for previewing Adapt courses in Moodle/Totara:

1. Download the archived course from the Authoring Tool.
  2. If your using Chrome you can directly drag the archive from the bottom of your Chrome window into your Moodle/Totara course (with editing turned on).
  3. Choose Create file resource (I'm assuming you haven't explored SCORM and the SPOOR extension just yet).
  4. Click Upload.
  5. Click Edit settings.
  6. Add something into the Description text box.
  7. Click on the uploaded archive icon in the Content area.
  8. Click Unzip.
  9. Click the index.html file and click the Set main file button.
  10. I expand the Appearance section and choose Open from the Display drop down.
  11. Finally click Save and display. Voila!

Hopefully this doesn't generate an error.

Picture of Stephen Harlow
by Stephen Harlow - Wednesday, 3 August 2016, 3:05 AM

As a follow-up, if you're adding custom CSS/LESS code to replace page header images you can add the page header image files directly into Moodle/Totara. Edit the settings of the file resource you created above and navigate to the /course/en/assets folder, then add your images (again you can drag'n'drop to upload).

Saves time, if like me, you forgot to add the images to the course archive before uploading it into Moodle/Totara.

by Derek Chirnside - Thursday, 4 August 2016, 12:24 AM

Thanks Steven (Where are you these days?) but my fail is in your step 1:

1. Download the archived course from the Authoring Tool.

I'll add a few more things to each page in case there is something missing, but I still get the error

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, stat '/storage/adapt_authoring/temp/573207a1fde499ee3ab79fde/adapt_framework/courses/573af91cb62630b25b323011/579ea518949dea2128f1f6bf/download.zip'
   at Error (native)

Preview works OK, but Download doesn't.

-Derek

[FIXED] Re: Adapt Builder | Downloading error
by Derek Chirnside - Tuesday, 9 August 2016, 8:34 PM

Q3: Had a message today from Brian at Learning Pool to "try it again", and it is now fixed.  Downloading is now successful.  Yeah!!!

-Derek

Picture of nigel delgaudio
by nigel delgaudio - Wednesday, 10 August 2016, 10:29 AM

Hi, a few questions:

1# Can I export a course in order to edit within the framework environment (outside of the tool)

2# Can I uploaded custom plugins? (extensions,components, menus etc)

3# Is there any advanced asset management or does it use the adapt default?

4# Who owns the courses created with the tool and where are they stored?

by Derek Chirnside - Wednesday, 10 August 2016, 9:10 PM

Warning Nigel.  I am a beginner and an amateur.

#1 I do not believe there is an import tool in the tool.  I do not know if there is an import method in the framework.  By framework I assume you mean a Vagrant based install or similar.  There is a post on this somewhere, but I can't find it.

#2 Do you mean to the tool?  I use the adaptbuilder.io version, and this probably is locked down to prevent uploading extensions.  I do not know what it is like in the Full hosted version or your Personal installed version.

#3 You'll need to clarify this question.  Exactly what are you using?

1. Free hosted version of tool
  2. Full Hosted version of tool
  3. Framework on your own install (etc)
  4. Builder tool on your own Install

I'm curious about this also, is there a mass drag and drop option for asset upload.

#4 Who owns the course? Probably you.  Where is it stored?  Don't know.

Some non answers.  Good luck.

-Derek

by nigel delgaudio - Monday, 15 August 2016, 8:13 AM

Sorry, I should clarify; these questions were in relation to learning pool's version called: adaptbuilder.io. I assumed that was what this thread was for.

I am already a competent adapt user in both the framework and authoring tool (I have always referred to the adapt core products as Framework or authoring tool, did this change?).

by nigel delgaudio - Monday, 15 August 2016, 8:07 AM

Hi,

I have since managed to have a trial of adaptbuilder.io. I was able to answer my own questions to some extent:

1# Can I export a course in order to edit within the framework environment (outside of the tool): No

2# Can I upload custom plugins? (extensions,components, menus etc): No

3# Is there any advanced asset management or does it use the adapt default?: No - uses default

4# Who owns the courses created with the tool and where are they stored? Not sure but since the builder is the only place to store the course source, effectively the point is moot.

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Monday, 15 August 2016, 9:30 AM

Thanks for posting your findings Nigel, I'm sure others will find this useful.

For anyone reading this who's unfamiliar with the open-source authoring tool: Nigel's first two questions are possible right now in the open-source product.

Export in particular is a fairly recent feature, and allows users to get hold of their authoring tool-built course (and the source code behind it) in a format which makes it possible to work with the course standalone using the grunt build tools.

Picture of Ben Sharp
by Ben Sharp - Wednesday, 24 August 2016, 10:34 AM

Tom, following up on your response to Nigel's question #1.  I exported a course from the Authoring Tool and tried to build it through CLI (command prompt) but got Fatal error: Unable to find local grunt.  Following the web link below this error I worked out that you need to first run npm install in the command prompt before using any grunt command.  This might be obvious to some but I'm new to node and grunt :)

Thought I'd post this here just in case any other newbies like me hit this error message also.