Picture of Melissa Milloway
Authoring Tool w/ Vagrant, errors in preview, download, and export source code?
by Melissa Milloway - Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 10:45 PM

Hi all,

I successfully installed and got the authoring tool up and running with Vagrant but on at least one of my machines I am receiving errors when trying to preview, download, or export the source code.

Has anyone else had this experience? Am I better off doing a manual install versus with Vagrant?

I am wondering if it has something to do with permissions due to the error I get from the Export source code.

Errors read as:

Preview: Error generating preview, please contact Administrator.

Download: Oops, something went wrong!

Export source code: Internal Server Error:
EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/home/vagrant/temp/57e07d2e2487bf403749b02e/adapt_framework/courses/57e07d2e2487bf403749b02e/57e19bb9287482cc05c64e02'

Picture of Thomas Berger
Re: Authoring Tool w/ Vagrant, errors in preview, download, and export source code?
by Thomas Berger - Thursday, 22 September 2016, 7:12 AM

Hello Melissa,

there was a issue with Permissions, but this should have been fixed. If you connect to your VM either by `vagrant ssh` or by starting the VM itself you can log the permissions for each file by entering the command ls -al

Please make sure that you are in the following directory /home/vagrant

The attached screenshot shows my permissions. I can preview and download courses.

If everything works fine, Vagrant is easy to get up and running quickly. However, debugging in Vagrant is really hard because you will need to do this inside a virtual machine that only allows access via command line input.

I would recommend you the manual installation if you wan't to dive deeper into Adapt. 

Thomas