Picture of Lars Halkjær
Scrolling problem in IE11
by Lars Halkjær - Monday, 23 January 2017, 10:58 AM

A client of ours has come up with an Adapt problem which we cannot recreate, so we would like to know if anyone has experienced something similar.

They are running an Adapt course in IE11 on Win 7.
The problem does not happen in other browsers, and it only happens when the browser window is sized to a size resembling a smartphone screen.

The symptoms are:

When they visit the page for the first time (in the session) and scroll down, they cannot scroll all the way through the component to make the Trickle "Continue" button appear.

The scrollbar thumb is at the bottom, but the lower part of the component is clipped, and the "Continue" button does not appear.

If they go back to the menu page, and enter the page in question again, they can scroll down and make the "Continue" button appear.

The component on the pages is a "Graphic" with quite a lot of body text (so much that the component is taller than the smartphone sized window).
They can scroll though the body text but when the top part of the image is visible they cannot scroll any further.

When we run the course, everything works fine. We have tried on our own IE11/Win10 PCs and in Browserstack with IE11/Win7 but to no avail: the "Continue" button appears every time..!

The fact that it happens only the first time might indicate that loading has something to do with it.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Scrolling problem in IE11
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 1:25 PM

It could be worth updating your framework code to the latest version (2.0.16) as that contains some updates to the 'inview' library which - you never know - may fix it.

However, this seems a very odd set of conditions to be worried about... what's the chances of someone on Win7/IE11 running the course in a smartphone-sized browser window?

Picture of Lars Halkjær
by Lars Halkjær - Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 10:15 PM

Hi Matt

Thank you for the answer.
I do agree that this is not on the top 10 list of worries. :)
But when clients discover things like this, it tends to make them worry about what else could be wrong.
And also my first thought is usually: could this be a symptom of something else?

All this aside, both the client and I agree that this is just something we keep an eye on - as mentioned it is not even a consistent Win7/IE11 problem, as we haven't been able to recreate it in browserstack.
I will try the 2.0.16 version and see if it could make a difference.

Picture of Lars Halkjær
by Lars Halkjær - Friday, 27 January 2017, 9:45 AM

Client confirmed today, that framework 2.0.16 solved the problem!