Picture of Nick Butcher
Browser Compatibility (eLearning Courses, default Adapt configuration)
by Nick Butcher - Tuesday, 25 July 2017, 3:28 PM

What are the browser support standards for Adapt?  Is there a place where this is listed in the documentation?

I was not able to find the information, unfortunately.  I am asking because my eLearning designers are asking me to make CSS modifications and I want to ensure they will work in all browsers supported by Adapt.

Thanks!

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Browser Compatibility (eLearning Courses, default Adapt configuration)
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 31 July 2017, 1:15 PM

Hi Nick

You can find this information at the bottom of the README for any of the 'core' plugins, example here.

(The reason we put the information there and not somewhere more central is because Adapt is essentially non-functional without plugins - so it's really more about what the plugins you're using support rather than what the framework itself supports. But all the core plugins - i.e. those maintained and managed by the Adapt team - all have the same level of browser/OS support at this point in time).

Note that we are about to drop support for IE8/9/10 so you may not want to bother including support for those browsers, particularly IE8 ;-)

Picture of Nick Butcher
by Nick Butcher - Monday, 31 July 2017, 5:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up!  I'll alert the designers that Adapt plans to drop support for older version of IE, so they can communicate that back to the client.  The css feature I used was flexbox, which works in all the other supported browsers.

However, IE10 is still generally considered an active browser (especially since it is the highest version available on Windows 7, which is still active in many corporate environments).  Is there a reason it is losing support in Adapt?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 31 July 2017, 7:07 PM

Hi Nick

You most certainly can get IE11 for Windows 7 - in fact anything less is NOT supported by Microsoft on that OS any more.

You can find out more about our rationale for dropping support for IE8/9/10 in this post.

At the moment we're mainly going through removing code that was specific to ensuring IE8 still worked... so chances are that IE9/10 will still work with Adapt v3 - for a while at least - we just won't be expending any effort testing on those browsers any more.

Picture of Nick Butcher
by Nick Butcher - Monday, 31 July 2017, 7:44 PM

I must have mis-remembered about IE10 => IE11 on Windows 7.  I'll be sure to pass on your post to the eLearning designers so they can communicate with the client regarding browser support.