Picture of Mick  Leyden
Adapt Project Health?
by Mick Leyden - Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 3:25 AM

Hi Team, 

I have been away from adapt for a few months but am getting close to kicking off another project. I have been struck by how much the pace of updates has slowed down in the past 6 months and wanted to ask the team how is the project tracking? Is it still being developed?

It looks like there is support but not much in the way of forward progress. I ask as we're going to kick off some more development soon and I am deciding whether to go with adapt again or look elsewhere. 

thanks

mick

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Adapt Project Health?
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 8:46 AM

With reference to the Authoring Tool or the Framework?

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 8:51 AM

Hi Mick,

The short answer is that Adapt is very much being actively developed, and yes, you should go with Adapt again. ;)

Joking aside, the framework is pretty mature and stable at the minute, as you can see from our releases, things are pretty regular.  Meanwhile a lot of work has been going on in parallel to ready version 3.0, which adds core support for xAPI and implements various improvements under the hood.

In terms of the authoring tool, version 0.4 is due very soon.  See the develop branch for details.

I'm not sure what your project requirements are, but unless there's something you need to do that can't be done in Adapt, I'd stick with it.  If there's a feature you think it's missing you could always suggest an enhancement, too.

Brian

Picture of Mick  Leyden
by Mick Leyden - Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 9:36 PM

First - thanks for the replies! Good to know a lot is still going. 

@Matt - Mostly authoring tool. 

@Brian - the main feature I  am keen on is export and import of courses into and out of the authoring tool. I have run a couple of different environments (one on a local machine, one on a cloud based VM) and moving content between them has proven to be a giant pain. 

That is probably the thing that has got me wavering at the moment. 

cheers

mick

Picture of Paul Hilton
by Paul Hilton - Thursday, 5 October 2017, 10:23 AM

Hi Mick

There is definitely activity on the framework and authoring tool, including import and export. We (Can Studios) are committed to adapt and spend a lot of our time in and around the AT. There are a couple of house keeping issues getting fixed at the moment but I'm pretty sure once those are out of the way development will be easier and therefore you will start to see more regular updates. 

HTH

Paul

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 5 October 2017, 11:42 AM

Having the folks from Can Studios on board has been a big boost to the project - but as always we could always use more help so if that's something you're able to provide please do let us know.

Doesn't necessarily need to be technical help, there are plenty of other areas where we could use some support too.