Picture of Cameron Holmes
Re: Unable to complete WIN10 Installation of the Authoring Tool
by Cameron Holmes - Sunday, 19 November 2017, 1:05 PM

This is what I get when I go ahead and launch "node server":

C:\Program Files\adapt_authoring>node server
(node:4488) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
info: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:16 -06:00] configuration loaded from C:\Program Files\adapt_authoring\conf\config.json
info: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:17 -06:00] Supporting the following authentication types:
info: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:17 -06:00] - local
error: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:17 -06:00] Check for updates failed, Cannot determine framework version
Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'C:\Program Files\adapt_authoring\temp\adapt_framework\package.json'
info: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:18 -06:00] Connection established: adapt-tenant-master
warn: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:19 -06:00] - Tenant Admin doesn't exist, cannot update
warn: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:19 -06:00] - Authenticated User doesn't exist, cannot update
warn: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:19 -06:00] - Course Creator doesn't exist, cannot update
warn: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:19 -06:00] - Product Manager doesn't exist, cannot update
warn: [19 Nov 2017 06:44:19 -06:00] - Super Admin doesn't exist, cannot update

I think this is pretty telling: "no such file or directory" - package.json

Could this all come down to file paths? I mean, WHERE do most people have "adapt_authoring" installed (I have in my program files, and where do most people have their "data" directory for MongoDB installed (I have it at "c:\data" for example. In Linux it's a given, but in Windows it get a bit... creative, so to speak. 

My config.json doesn't look right. I don't think it's finding the Mongoose data directory:

{
"outputPlugin": "adapt",
"dbType": "mongoose",
"auth": "local",
"root": "C:\\Program Files\\adapt_authoring",
"serverPort": 5000,
"serverName": "localhost",
"dbHost": "localhost",
"dbName": "adapt-tenant-master",
"dbPort": 27017,
"dataRoot": "data",
"sessionSecret": "your-session-secret",
"authoringToolRepository": "https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring.git",
"frameworkRepository": "https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework.git",
"frameworkRevision": "tags/v2.2.3"
}

--ch

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 20 November 2017, 11:32 AM

If you just want to use it on Win10 then maybe Fabio's standalone version of the authoring tool is the answer? It's not running the very latest version of the authoring tool yet but I'm sure if enough of us ask him really nicely he might update it?

"I've shown proof of concept with an authoring tool installation on Linux, but they are going to give me grief about that"

That's an odd attitude, what's the problem with that?

Picture of Cameron Holmes
by Cameron Holmes - Monday, 20 November 2017, 5:29 PM

Hi. Alas, it's literally a one-hundred-year-old agency that is Windows-based. I was told that they could swing giving me Admin rights to do the project, but Linux wouldn't be accepted. At the end of the day (see my addition to that thread) I was able to get the AT installed on a Windows 7 and the Win10 box in question. Good practice since I'll have to do it again when I get the agency box. 

People are excited about the prospect of getting some training on their phones and iPads, though. I've already tested the SCORM in the LMS, and after only minor editing of an offending tag, I was able to get to a "completed" status in PeopleSoft, which isn't that great of an LMS IMHO.

Thanks for asking. I'll be around asking MORE questions in the not-so-distant future. ;-)

--ch