Picture of Ross Murray
Re: Tenants
by Ross Murray - Friday, 13 May 2022, 7:59 AM

Hi sorry to bring up this old post, but can anyone confirm the current status of tenants? 

Picture of Martin Kout
by Martin Kout - Friday, 21 October 2022, 9:56 AM

I would also be interested in a status :-) 

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Tuesday, 25 October 2022, 3:00 PM

Hi Ross,

Due to general lack of interest for a full tenancy management feature (and the amount of work involved), it's been agreed to not continue development on this feature.

What we found that most users are actually just looking to hide certain content (courses/assets/plugins etc.) from groups of users. To this end, we're going to be adding a 'user groups' feature to the v1.0.0 authoring tool which will allow admins to create groups of users, and assign content visibility to those groups. Once the v1.0.0 stable release is publicly available, this will be one of the first new additions.

This differs slightly from true multitenancy, which is more concerned with a physical separation of data (separate databases, separated folder structure), usually for data privacy reasons. Users looking for this kind of approach are better off running multiple instances of the authoring tool for true separation (very little extra overhead, and much more simplicity).

Hopefully this clears things up!

Picture of Ross Murray
by Ross Murray - Wednesday, 26 October 2022, 8:21 AM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the update; appreciated. This makes sense, and from what you've described, I think the User Groups feature would likely meet our needs!

The essential requirement for us would be to ensure clients who have requested access (say to make their updates to a course) can do so without seeing any of the other assets in the system. They could log in, see only their courses, make edits and publish. So to that end, I think what you are saying sounds good!

Thanks again for the update,

Ross

Picture of Martin Kout
by Martin Kout - Wednesday, 26 October 2022, 11:00 AM

Thank you very much for the feedback! 

The Solution with the User Groups makes sense, and will work for us also fine!

best
Martin