Picture of Thomas Wiley
Asset thumbnails not showing
by Thomas Wiley - Thursday, 9 August 2018, 11:54 AM

Greetings,

I'm having difficulty getting the asset preview thumbnails to appear. I've narrowed it down to a permission issue. I'm running Adapt Authoring as a server in a Win 2016 server. When I have the service run under my administrator account, the asset upload works fine. When it runs under the local service account, the asset is saved to the assets folder, but the thumbnail isn't. I've tried giving "Everyone" write permission to the folder but that didn't work. 

Thank You,
Tom

Picture of Fabio Beoni
Re: Asset thumbnails not showing
by Fabio Beoni - Wednesday, 22 August 2018, 2:48 PM

Hello Tom,

your issue might be related to the missing installation of "FFmpeg". FFmpeg is a command line software that Adapt uses to generate thumbnails. Have you installed it as described here?

Cheers, Fabio.

Picture of Thomas Wiley
by Thomas Wiley - Thursday, 23 August 2018, 12:33 PM

Thank you. Yes, ffmpeg is installed. When I run adapt learning as a service using my admin account I can upload assets and the thumbnails show. If the service is run without my admin account, assets upload, but it hangs at the upload page and no thumbnail is generated. Definitely a permission issue, just not sure where as I've given permission to the Everyone group.

Picture of Barry Jenkin
by Barry Jenkin - Thursday, 23 August 2018, 10:11 AM

I've had no luck trying to get the preview thumbnails working for the past year. I've followed all the installation steps for ffmpeg but no joy. I can only assume something at server level doesn't like it but haven't had a chance to investigate.

Picture of Thomas Wiley
by Thomas Wiley - Thursday, 23 August 2018, 12:36 PM

Thank you. I've gotten it working when I run the server using my admin account, but when I run it without an admin account it doesn't. It's a permission issue for sure. I'll post back if/when I figure it out.

Picture of Thomas Wiley
{SOLVED] Asset thumbnails not showing
by Thomas Wiley - Tuesday, 28 August 2018, 1:10 PM

Not sure if this will help anyone but I was able to finally get this working.

I'm running Adapt Authoring tool as a Windows service on a server. The path environment variable to ffmpeg was not available to the Adapt Authoring service. I found this article which shows how to create a custom environment variable (PATH in this case) for a service in the Windows registry. Once I set the path for the service, it found ffmpeg (and ffprobe) and the thumbnails now appear for an uploaded asset.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: {SOLVED] Asset thumbnails not showing
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 28 August 2018, 2:31 PM

That's really useful info, thanks for sharing