Picture of Petr Kovar
Module always "passing" never failing
by Petr Kovar - Sunday, 3 March 2019, 10:11 PM

Hi there,

I am using the Adapt Authoring tool V0.6.2 to create some SCORM modules. I have tried a number of different settings but for some reason when testing in the LMS the module is always passing (never failing) even when the score is below the pass mark. I have tried many different combinations of the Spoor, Trickle and Assessment plugin settings, but cannot fix this aspect.

Just wanted to check which settings to focus on specifically to confirm whether this is working or not from the Adapt end, since it is possible that it is an LMS issue.

Looking forward to your advice.

Picture of Barry Jenkin
Re: Module always "passing" never failing
by Barry Jenkin - Monday, 4 March 2019, 2:48 AM

My Adapt SCORMs are working in Moodle (sending completion status) as percentage based with pass mark 80. 

In the authoring tool I adjusted:

• Project settings > Assessment (percentage based, pass mark: 80)
  • Configuration settings > Spoor (submit score, tracking success status: completed, assessment failure status: incomplete)
  • article-level Assessment settings (percentage based, pass mark 80, include in total score, assessment weight 100)
Picture of Petr Kovar
by Petr Kovar - Monday, 4 March 2019, 3:57 AM

Hi Barry,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I have put your settings in exactly but I also have a few others so would appreciate if you could let me know which of the following you don't have, since that might be causing the issue.

Project Settings > Assessment: I also have Send Total Score to LMS checked

Configuration Settings > Spoor: I also have Course completion required, Remember responses, Record responses, Commit data on status change, Commit on visibility change hidden checked

Article Level Assessment settings (had this turned off! enabled now): Attempts allows -1, Include in Total Score checked

My passing score is also 100%. Could any of the settings above be conflicting? Just want to make sure if you have any of them enabled as well, otherwise I will disable them and see if that makes a difference.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 4 March 2019, 10:06 AM

'assessment weight 100' is odd. if that's the only assessment in the course you should set this to 1 (which is the default value anyway)

Petr: could you clarify what:

• version of the framework you are using
  • version of the assessment & spoor extensions you're using
  • 'failing' actually means in practice, specifically in terms of what SCORM data should be sent to the LMS
Picture of Petr Kovar
by Petr Kovar - Monday, 4 March 2019, 10:28 PM

Hi Matt, sure no problems at all please see below:

• Authoring tool: 0.6.2

• Framework: 2.3.2

• Assessment: 2.2.0

• Spoor: 2.1.3

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I have the questions in 1 article on 1 page, and the results component in another article on another page. I have just checked the assessment settings of the two articles and they are the same. There is also no other questions or results in the course.

By "failing" essentially all I mean is that the LMS should display a status in line with the user's result and pass mark set eg. anything below 100% should not be a pass but any result at the moment is appearing as a pass, which is strange. When I test a SCORM built using another tool a status of "please try again" appears instead of "Pass" when the user does not meet the passing mark.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you need any further details.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 5 March 2019, 10:19 AM

I have just checked the assessment settings of the two articles and they are the same

If you only have one assessment in the course you don't need two sets of assessment settings...

When I test a SCORM built using another tool a status of "please try again" appears instead of "Pass" when the user does not meet the passing mark

OK so, I am guessing here that the 'please try again' message is displayed if a 'failed' status is sent to the LMS by the course... assuming that's correct you need to tell Adapt that you want to send a 'failed' status if the user fails the assessment via Configuration settings > Spoor  > assessment failure status

You also need to check you have the assessment pass mark set correctly both on the assessment article and in the top-level assessment settings in Project settings.

Hope this helps

Picture of Petr Kovar
by Petr Kovar - Tuesday, 5 March 2019, 10:39 PM

Hi Matt,

Sorry to clarify what I meant by two articles is one for the questions and a second article for the results, since the questions are on page 3 of 7 and the results are on the last page (page 7). I assumed both of these do not need to be on the same page?

Yes that is the LMS message displayed for a failed module. In Configuration Settings > Spoor I have tried to set the assessment failure status to both "incomplete" and "failed" but still got "Passed" from the LMS in both cases.

Yes pass mark set as a percentage and at 100 in Project settings and in the Article settings of the question and results pages.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 6 March 2019, 11:18 AM

I assumed both of these do not need to be on the same page?

no they don't. in fact the assessmentResults component has nothing whatsoever to do with any of this, its purpose is solely to provide feedback to the learner and to give them a way of resetting the assessment. All the scoring, tracking etc happens elsewhere - so you don't even have to have the assessmentResults component installed for any of this to work.

To be honest, without being able to see your course it's going to be very hard to debug what's wrong. All I can say is that it does work when correctly configured - if you have a look at the Console tab of the browser's developer tools you'll see exactly what data it is sending back to the LMS, this may help you to figure out where you're going wrong.

This is an example of the sort of thing you should be seeing when it's working, with the relevant parts highlighted:

Picture of Petr Kovar
by Petr Kovar - Thursday, 7 March 2019, 12:22 AM

Hi Matt, yes it seems to be an issue with how the LMS is interpreting the data. I just thought I'd check to see how everyone else is configuring this functionality for it to work. Now that I have tested the recommended settings and the issue persists that tells me it is an LMS issue most likely. I will follow this up. 

Picture of Barry Jenkin
by Barry Jenkin - Thursday, 7 March 2019, 1:44 AM

What LMS are you using? In moodle I had to configure the settings for the SCORM activity to show as complete based on a score, defining 80 as the minimum score.