Picture of Adolfo Ortega Gómez
Problem installing new plugins
by Adolfo Ortega Gómez - Monday, 11 November 2019, 5:17 PM

Hello!

I´m new in this comunity, first of all I´ll tell you the enviroment that i´m ussing:

SO: Ubuntu 16.04

Node:  root@ADAPTLEARN-DESA:/opt/adapt_framework-master# node -v

v10.15.3

Npm:  root@ADAPTLEARN-DESA:/opt/adapt_framework-master# npm -v

I have installed adapt_authoring whitout problems and its accesible via web browser. Now we want to install new plugins, and reading the documentation i understood that we need to install adapt_framework-master , when we follow de installation manual we have de following error:

root@ADAPTLEARN-DESA:/opt/adapt_framework-master# npm install
npm WARN deprecated time-grunt@2.0.0: Deprecated because Grunt is practically unmaintained. Move on to something better. This package will continue to work with Grunt v1, but it will not receive any updates.
npm WARN deprecated nomnom@1.8.1: Package no longer supported. Contact support@npmjs.com for more info.
npm WARN deprecated jscs-preset-wikimedia@1.0.1: Deprecated in favour of eslint-config-wikimedia. -- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118941
npm WARN deprecated coffee-script@1.12.7: CoffeeScript on NPM has moved to "coffeescript" (no hyphen)

> core-js@2.6.10 postinstall /opt/adapt_framework-master/node_modules/core-js
> node postinstall || echo "ignore"

Thank you for using core-js ( https://github.com/zloirock/core-js ) for polyfilling JavaScript standard library!

The project needs your help! Please consider supporting of core-js on Open Collective or Patreon:
> https://opencollective.com/core-js
> https://www.patreon.com/zloirock

Also, the author of core-js ( https://github.com/zloirock ) is looking for a good job -)

npm notice created a lockfile as package-lock.json. You should commit this file.
added 449 packages from 393 contributors and audited 1041 packages in 18.027s

3 packages are looking for funding.
Run "npm fund" to find out more.

root@ADAPTLEARN-DESA:/opt/adapt_framework-master# adapt install
Creating adapt-ubuntu-focal
error: Unsupported compression.

Can you help us?  We also installed the adapt-cli without problems.

root@ADAPTLEARN-DESA:/opt/adapt_framework-master# npm install -g adapt-cli
npm WARN deprecated bower@1.8.8: We don't recommend using Bower for new projects. Please consider Yarn and Webpack or Parcel. You can read how to migrate legacy project here: https://bower.io/blog/2017/how-to-migrate-away-from-bower/
/usr/local/lib/nodejs/node-v10.15.3-linux-x64/bin/adapt -> /usr/local/lib/nodejs/node-v10.15.3-linux-x64/lib/node_modules/adapt-cli/bin/adapt
+ adapt-cli@2.1.9
updated 1 package in 16.092s

root@ADAPTLEARN-DESA:/opt/adapt_framework-master# adapt version
Creating adapt-ubuntu-focal
error: Unsupported compression.

root@ADAPTLEARN-DESA:/opt/adapt_framework-master# adapt help

Example usage
adapt install -r wily -p tomcat7
adapt run -r xenial -c 'gcc -v'
adapt alias -r xenial -c juju
adapt unalias -c juju
adapt shell -d centos -r 6
adapt list

Also, when we try to install a plugin, we cannot use adapt install 

root@ADAPTLEARN-DESA:/opt/adapt_framework-master# adapt install adapt-contrib-media

Example usage
adapt install -r wily -p tomcat7
adapt run -r xenial -c 'gcc -v'
adapt alias -r xenial -c juju
adapt unalias -c juju
adapt shell -d centos -r 6
adapt list

root@ADAPTLEARN-DESA:/opt/adapt_framework-master# adapt install -r adapt-contrib-media
error: invalid character '<' looking for beginning of value

Best regards.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Problem installing new plugins
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 11 November 2019, 6:03 PM

Now we want to install new plugins, and reading the documentation i understood that we need to install adapt_framework-master

Can I ask where you read that? Because that doesn't sound right to me - the authoring tool will fetch its own copy of the framework during the installation process. The only thing you might need to do it update it to a newer version (at this point in time, it is still installing FW v2.x by default).

Equally plugins should be installed using the Plugin Management page of the authoring tool. You should not attempt to install/update plugins any other way.

You only need to install and use the adapt-cli if you want to work directly with the Framework (i.e. create and build course without using the Authoring Tool).

It looks as if your Ubuntu install has another 'adapt' command line tool installed (this one??) and it is getting a bit confused and showing you help/usage instructions for that rather than the adapt-cli.

by Adolfo Ortega Gómez - Tuesday, 12 November 2019, 9:53 AM

Hello Matt, 

Thanks for your help, I'm somewhat lost with the installation of the plugins.

• Can I ask where you read that? Because that doesn't sound right to me - the authoring tool will fetch its own copy of the framework during the installation process. The only thing you might need to do it update it to a newer version (at this point in time, it is still installing FW v2.x by default).

I didn´t understand that. As I am trying to install plugins without success I thought it would be necessary to install / adapt_framework-master.

When I acces to plugin management page in our authoring tool i dont see anything (photo attached), and when I try to follow the instructions https://www.adaptlearning.org/index.php/plugin-browser/  for example "adapt-contrib-vanilla" said that :  As Adapt's core theme, Vanilla is included with the installation of the Adapt framework and the installation of the Adapt authoring tool.

But i don´t see any theme. Following your words, I need to download de zip and upload in the plugin manager?? In a zip format?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 12 November 2019, 6:10 PM

It looks like something failed in the Authoring Tool installation process then because you should be seeing a LOT more under both extensions and components and at least one item (called 'Vanilla') under themes.

Essentially all the plugins listed here should be installed by default.

Following your words, I need to download de zip and upload in the plugin manager?? In a zip format?

Yes that's right but only for installing additional plugins. The 'core' plugins should be there already.

by Adolfo Ortega Gómez - Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 9:46 AM

True. I was looking for the log installation and there was some errors with the plugins. I´ll try to install again.... Thanks for your help. I´ll update the ticket with the new instalation.

root@ADAPTLEARN-DESA:/opt/adapt_authoring# node install
warn [28 May 19 10:09:13 +02:00] You are using Node.js 12.3.1 which is not yet supported by Adapt. If you encounter issues, please downgrade to 8 || 10.

This script will install the application.
Would you like to continue?
> Continue? Y/n (Y)

We need to configure the tool before install.
Tip: just press ENTER to accept the default value in brackets.
> Server port (5000)
> Server name (localhost)
> Data directory path (data)
> Git repository URL to be used for the authoring tool source code (https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring.git)
> Git repository URL to be used for the framework source code (https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework.git)
> Specific git revision to be used for the framework. Accepts any valid revision type (e.g. branch/tag/commit) (tags/v2.4.0)
> Master database name (adapt-tenant-master)
> Will you be using a full database connection URI? (all connection options in the URI) y/N (N)
> Database host (localhost)
> Database server port (27017)
> Database server user (only specify if using database authentication)
> Database server password (only specify if using database authentication)
> Database server authentication database (only specify if using database authentication)
> Will you be using an SMTP server? (used for sending emails) y/N (N)
Now we need to configure the master tenant.
Tip: just press ENTER to accept the default value in brackets.

error [28 May 19 10:10:00 +02:00] Failed to load content plugin of type: bower
> Set a unique name for your tenant (master)
> Set the display name for your tenant (Master)

Cloned https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework.git successfully.
/temp/5cececdde2abe13e43455efa/adapt_framework switched to revision tags/v2.4.0
Node dependencies installed successfully.
Failed to install adapt-contrib-vanilla, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-text, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-narrative, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-media, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-hotgraphic, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-blank, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-accordion, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-graphic, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-matching, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-textInput, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-mcq, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-gmcq, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-assessment, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-assessmentResults, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-trickle, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-tutor, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-boxMenu, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-pageLevelProgress, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-resources, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-slider, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-spoor, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-bookmarking, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Failed to install adapt-contrib-languagePicker, ReferenceError: primordials is not defined
Adapt framework plugins updated.
Master tenant created successfully.
Warning: Missing translation for key: "app.productname"

Now we need to set up a 'Super Admin' account. This account can be used to manage everything on your app.productname instance.
> Email address
error: Invalid input for Email address
> Email address noreply@telefonicaed.com
> Password *********
> Confirm Password *********

Web application built successfully.
error [28 May 19 10:16:44 +02:00] Failed to load content plugin of type: bower

Installation completed successfully, the application can now be started with 'node server'.

Picture of Tom Greenfield
by Tom Greenfield - Wednesday, 13 November 2019, 10:30 AM

At least we can immediately see what was wrong with your original installation:

warn [28 May 19 10:09:13 +02:00] You are using Node.js 12.3.1 which is not yet supported by Adapt. If you encounter issues, please downgrade to 8 || 10.

The latest authoring tool code supports both Node 10 & 12 so starting again from scratch should solve your problems.

by Adolfo Ortega Gómez - Tuesday, 19 November 2019, 4:14 PM

Thanks for your help. I have installed lastest authoriting tool version and now i see the plungins and components.

I will work a few whit this features and then i´ll try to install more plugins.