Tim Baker
New Authoring Tool Installation fails to install standard plugins
by Tim Baker - Wednesday, 20 November 2019, 11:47 AM

I installed the Authoring Tool on Windows 10 in August and it installed Framework 2.4.0. I just updated to Authoring Tool 0.10.2 but I did not have access to some of the interesting plugins which need FrameWork >=3. So I installed a new PC today. (Windows 10 again) It installed Framework 4.4.1 and Authoring Tool 0.10.2 but the installation of all the standard plugins failed. It would appear that the version of these plugins that are used are designed for Framework 5.

I guess I am going to have to install Framework 5 and then all the standard plugins one by one, or stay with my Framework 4.4.1 and install older versions of the plugins one by one. This is going to stretch my technical knowledge, but I think the standard installation process should include standard plugins that work on the Framework that has been installed.

I have attached the Grunt output for anyone who can understand it and may find it useful.

My Config:

Windows 10
git version 2.24.0.windows.2

Node v12.13.1
grunt-cli v1.2.0
MongoDB 4.2
MongoDB Compass Community Version 1.19.12

Installed FrameWork 4.4.1

Installed Authoring Tool 0.10.2

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: New Authoring Tool Installation fails to install standard plugins
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 20 November 2019, 12:37 PM

The latest versions of the plugins require FW version 5 - yes. but the previous version of each is still available and is FW v4 compatible. I'm not quite sure why the authoring tool is not installing them. if you create a FW v4.4.1 course using the adapt-cli it installs everything fine...

I guess I am going to have to install Framework 5 and then all the standard plugins one by one, or stay with my Framework 4.4.1 and install older versions of the plugins one by one

If I were you I would hold off on this because when you say this:

the standard installation process should include standard plugins that work on the Framework that has been installed.

you're absolutely correct. this should work. we need to figure out what's wrong and fix it.

Tim Baker
by Tim Baker - Thursday, 21 November 2019, 11:40 AM

Thanks Matt

I have installed the n-1 versions of all the standard plugins, and some other nice ones from @danielstorey which were not compatible with the old 2.4.0 FrameWork on the other PC and everything works fine so far.

When I upgraded Authoring Tool on the PC with the 2.4.0 Framework, (using https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Upgrading-the-Adapt-Authoring-Tool ) it updated to 0.10.2 but did not update the Framework. So I had to reinstall from zero (from https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Installing-the-Authoring-Tool )  to get Framework 4.4.1 and then of course manually install all the plugins as above.

I wish I could help more, but I don't think I have the skill set.

Tim

Picture of Max Pittlik
by Max Pittlik - Thursday, 21 November 2019, 9:59 PM

Hello,

I'm struggling with the same problem and did not find a way to fix this yet.

There are no components listed in the plugin manager.

I installed the authoring tool yesterday, which was my first experience with adapt and because I'm more of a designer than a developer, git hub or cloning is all new to me.

You say the v4 plugins are still available. Could you please tell me where to find them and how to install it manually?

I am working with Win10 and all the other software should be at the newest version as I installed it yesterday.

Thank you very much.

Tim Baker
by Tim Baker - Friday, 22 November 2019, 9:27 AM

Hi Max

The latest installation of the Authoring Tool seems to try and install the very latest plugins which are not compatible with the current Framework Version. (4.4.1). so you have to download one by one the N-1 versions of the plugins and then install them. Luckily for you, I have already been through this process so I can save you some of the work.

• Download the attached zip file
  • unzip it (it containers 29 smaller zip files) these are the "23 core" plugins plus a few more that I find useful and appear work with the current version (except adapt-backgroundScroll-3.0.2 which I have not managed to get working yet).
  • From the Adapt Authoring Tool Menu in the top left () choose Plugin Management.
  • Then "Upload Plugin", "Choose File" (one of your smaller zip files) "Upload"
  • repeat for all 23 (or more) plugins

If you don't trust my attachment:

• go to the Adapt plugin browser (also available from within the Authoring Tool in Plugin Management > Get New Plugins.
  • Click on the plugin that you want
  • Then "Plugin Homepage"
  • then "XX Releases" where XX is some number (eg 14 for adapt-contrib-text)
  • AVOID the first on in the list which is marked Framework 5 for all the core plugins (e.g. "v4.0.0 - the one with BEM for adapt-contrib-text")
  • Download the next version down (eg "v3.0.0 - the one with the (data) model" for adapt-contrib-text, this should be marked a framework version <5). To do this unfold the Assets label and download the zip file. 
  • Install the zip file as indicated above.

Good luck

Picture of Max Pittlik
by Max Pittlik - Friday, 22 November 2019, 11:58 AM

Hi Tim,

I used your zipfile and it worked fine.

Thank you very much!