Customising Vanilla theme (v5)
by Sam Howell - Monday, 2 December 2019, 4:18 PM

I recently downloaded the latest version of the Vanilla theme and am underway customising the LESS etc. in order to create a custom theme I can use across a number of future generic courses. (I've noticed the classes have changed to make it easier to customise/nest, e.g. &__header-inner.

Until now I've been overriding the source style by inspecting pages, determining the classes (.article, .component-inner etc.) and putting my own new declarations in the additional CSS/LESS box in Project Settings.

What I'd like to know is whether an easier way to create a custom theme is to just copy and paste any additional CSS into the Vanilla theme file theme-extras.less -- or is it recommended to only adjust the source code in the Vanilla theme, i.e. the variables in each of the LESS files etc.

I'd appreciate some pointers and/or clarification around these issues. I can easily make my course look how I want it with additional CSS, but I want to know the best way to make these style changes more permanent.

Thanks!