Picture of Saral Sharma
MCQ partial correct score
by Saral Sharma - Tuesday, 7 January 2020, 4:52 PM

Hi all,

Hope you guys had great Christmas break.

Is it possible in MCQ to send partially correct score? That is if out of 6 options 4 are correct and learner selects 3 correct options, can we get score 3 from that question?

Cheers,

Saral

Picture of Barry Jenkin
Re: MCQ partial correct score
by Barry Jenkin - Tuesday, 7 January 2020, 11:48 PM

Someone attempted this a few years ago in adapt-mcqi but I wasn't able to get it working – let us know if you do. 

Picture of Saral Sharma
by Saral Sharma - Wednesday, 8 January 2020, 11:28 AM

I can easily modify MCQ and other quiz components to do partial marking and it will work fine.

But my concern is, I have to change core component which does scoring and if it is not accepted by community and included in master branch of that core component on github, then this feature will lost with time.

Which also means, courses developed with modified component will not work in future framework versions(because it is a change in core component).

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 8 January 2020, 12:26 PM

Is it possible in MCQ to send partially correct score?

Send partially correct score to... what?

Picture of Saral Sharma
by Saral Sharma - Wednesday, 8 January 2020, 2:07 PM

Thanks Matt for your reply.

Please let me describe a scenario:

If we have assessment with 10 MCQ/Matching questions. Say, the MCQ question has 5 options, with 3 correct options and we give weight 3 to that question.

Then I want, if learner selects 2 correct answers, that question should contribute 2 marks to the overall assessment score.

Currently, if learner selects 2 correct options, then that question contributes 0 mark to the assessment score unless all three correct options are selected. Similarly, it goes for Matching(drop-down) questions.

Any suggestion will be helpful.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 8 January 2020, 3:02 PM

Hi Saral

I had a feeling that was likely to be what you wanted to do, I just wanted to be sure!

In that case, it might be possible to create an extension to monkey patch the assessment extension so that it handles this. I'm thinking you could extend or override the _getScore function to handle this particular scenario?

Picture of Saral Sharma
by Saral Sharma - Thursday, 9 January 2020, 11:59 AM

Thanks Matt for the suggestion.