Picture of Ida Klasson
Edit a course that's been converted to a Scorm package
by Ida Klasson - Tuesday, 28 January 2020, 8:11 AM

Hi!

I've found an old course that was built by a former colleague. I want to reuse this course and make some updates, but it's only available as a Scorm package. My question is if it's possible to work with a course that's been converted to a Scorm package? Either in the Framework or Authoring tool. 

The course is built in Framework 3.1.0 which I've downgraded my Framework to. 

Thanks! 

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Edit a course that's been converted to a Scorm package
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 28 January 2020, 12:21 PM

If you just want to make content edits (i.e. changing text, graphics, media, configuration settings) - absolutely you can work with the existing course - you don't need the framework/source code at all. You might need to 'prettify' the JSON - you can do that with online tools like https://jsonformatter.org/json-pretty-print or using editor plugins like JSON tools for VSC - or using command line tools. But that's it really.

If, on the other hand, you need to add new/change the existing functionality - or change the styling beyond just adding class names in the JSON - then you will need to get it working with the framework.

If that's what you'll have to do, let me know and I will give you more pointers specific to that...

Picture of Ida Klasson
by Ida Klasson - Tuesday, 28 January 2020, 2:45 PM

I would need to change more than what I can do in the first option. I would really appreciate some help with how I can get it to work with the framework. Thank you Matt! 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 28 January 2020, 4:09 PM

No problem. If, as you say, it's FW v3.1.0 that's good as it means you can execute the following bit of code in the console tab of the browser's developer tools to find out what was used to create the course:

require('core/js/adapt').build.toJSON();

The part you're interested in is the plugins section:

You need to make sure you can get hold of all the plugin that are listed - not to mention the specific versions of them.

Assuming you can, it should be pretty easy to recreate this.

Start by creating a new course using the Adapt CLI to check out FW v3.1.0 

Then you need to make a decision as to whether you use the latest compatible version of the core plugins (which the Adapt CLI will have downloaded by default) - or you go with the versions that were actually used to build the course, possibly upgrading them later.

Then you'll need to install any 3rd party plugins, with the same decision to make around which version to use.

Finally delete the contents of src/course and replace them with the contents of the course folder from the SCORM .zip you have - then you should be ready to go.

Picture of Ida Klasson
by Ida Klasson - Wednesday, 29 January 2020, 2:27 PM

Thanks a lot Matt! I might be able to get a hold on the source code. Otherwise, I will follow these steps. Once again, thanks! :)

Picture of Ida Klasson
by Ida Klasson - Thursday, 30 January 2020, 10:31 AM

I've managed to get the source code but I still need some help.. If I do changes in the articles.json file, for example, save it, do a grunt build and then refresh the page: All the changes disappear in the file. Why is that happening? 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 30 January 2020, 11:44 AM

I'd guess that you are editing the wrong articles.json file... the Adapt OS build process requires you to have two copies of the course content. You need to edit the files in src/course/ and let the grunt dev/build process copy the changes into build/course/

This is something we're looking to change; in the meantime you could use Kineo's rub-cli build tool, it doesn't require you to have two copies of the course content, so you only need to use the command line if you change the .js/.less/.hbs files. It also lets you build multiple courses from the same 'src', which can obviously be pretty handy.

Picture of Ida Klasson
by Ida Klasson - Thursday, 30 January 2020, 2:14 PM

Haha of course I was.. Thanks again, you're a lifesaver!