Picture of d c
visual editor?
by d c - Wednesday, 3 September 2014, 4:36 AM

I tried going through the steps to create a new course, and I was surprised the tool doesn't provide some type of UI for building courses other than hand editing the JSON files. Is there a work-in-progress on that somewhere? 

Additionally, copy pastaing the JSON nodes, and changing IDs breaks the course with this error:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '_children' of undefined adapt.min.js:121n 

And on startup I always get this even tho the static pages show up.

An error has occured:

Course could not connect to the LMS

Picture of Brian Quinn
Re: visual editor?
by Brian Quinn - Wednesday, 3 September 2014, 8:03 AM

We're actually in the process of developing an Open Source authoring tool for building courses.  This will eliminate the kind of errors that can happen when copying and pasting blocks of JSON and make the entire experience much more user friendly.

Regarding the LMS error, if you're running locally (and not in an LMS such as Moodle), you should browse to main.html rather than index.html.

Picture of d c
by d c - Wednesday, 3 September 2014, 10:34 PM

thanks for the response. Is there a WIP for the authoring tool anywhere?

what would you say are going to be the benefits vs. openmooc and other web based mooc tools out there (I'm not very familiar with other mooc authoring systems).

Picture of Kevin Jones
by Kevin Jones - Saturday, 13 September 2014, 11:02 AM

The source for the WIP authoring tool is here. https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/tree/develop

I don't know if there is a guide to getting going on it since it's got a password screen? Brian do you have advice on that?

As a small mercy, to help with JSON copy pasting I made a fork that would compile a folder structure containing JSON partials and auto assign id and parents to them To create final structures. You might prefer it as an interim? I do need to merge the latest updates but it's stable as is.

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=331

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Friday, 12 September 2014, 10:53 PM

Regarding "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '_children' of undefined adapt.min.js:121n":

I encountered the same error while following the Creating your first course tutorial. Ignore these instructions in the contentObjects.json section: "Now you will need to re-build your code and refresh the browser, should now see at the bottom of the menu a new item (it won't do anything just yet)."

I found that I continued to get the error and the page could not load until I had the page, article, and block json in place. Once these three were in place, the page could load.