Picture of guy greenbaum
The public demo fails on Android LG G3
by guy greenbaum - Friday, 3 October 2014, 6:16 PM

I'm *really* hoping to use the framework for a responsive project due by EOY.  Sadly, I tested out the main, public demo (https://community.adaptlearning.org/demo/index.html#/page/m05/t05/p05 ) on my LG G3 and to my great disappointment found bugs listed below.  I'm happy to provide more detail if people are interested.

What's the deal - are these bugs on the main demo surprising?  Is this framework ready for the real world?

BUGS:

Block slider content - no lateral scrolling.  

Block slider content - the triggered component is exposed - thus, the page cannot be completed since it's listed as required criteria.  

Block slider content - interacting with any component above it makes all block slider content disappear off the page, leaving about 50% empty scrolling page

General scrolling issues - perhaps due to the design, the page becomes difficult to navigate due to lack of margin around elements which makes it hard to trigger page scrolling.

General background anchoring issues - background images noticeably have to snap back into place

Picture of Daryl Hedley
Re: The public demo fails on Android LG G3
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 6 October 2014, 7:09 AM

Hey Guy,

The demo you viewed isn't such a good demo - and something we've been meaning to change. It's got a lot of old code (and is actually built upon an internal Kineo version we used a while back) and a lot of custom code. So this isn't the true representation of the Open Source code. So these bugs are no surprise and I'll make this one of my main ticket items of removing it and updating it with what you get when you download Adapt.

We have put up some test builds during our v1.1.0 release if you would like to try this instead? You can find this here:

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/scorm/view.php?id=49

I'm guessing your phone runs Android - would you happen to know which version of Android?

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of guy greenbaum
by guy greenbaum - Tuesday, 7 October 2014, 7:24 PM

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for your response.  The link you sent fails on my android 4.4.2 phone with the 3-line error message below:

Course could not connect to the LMS

ScormWrapper::getValue:_poperty=cmi.suspend_data

Course is not connected to the LMS

However, the demo works on mac chrome so I was able to see the design.  I must say, it's far less engaging than the main demo which you say is not representative of the framework.  

I'm not sure what to make of the project at this point.  It doesn't seem anywhere ready for me to start working with for an elearning project due in 3 months.  

Can you tell me when or even if the framework will deliver the design presented in the main public demo?

Cheers.

me
by Sven Laux - Tuesday, 7 October 2014, 8:35 PM

Hi Guy,

you can see some more public examples of projects built on Adapt here.

It's fair to say that making an e-learning module using the framework does require some technical skills and development work - especially on the front end styling. Is that what you mean when you say that the public demo is more 'engaging'?

The error message you get is related to the fact that you are not running the module from an LMS (which is the most common use case). This is due to the tracking extension (called 'spoor') being shipped and turned on by default and as such, is not a sign that the framework doesn't work on Android. We have been discussing disabling this extension by default. If you want to do this manually, you can use the 'adapt uninstall spoor' command in the command line tool.

With regards to the framework working on Android, we have gone through several thorough testing cycles to ensure that it does. There may well be minor issues we haven't found and we would like to encourage you (and everyone) to let us know the details if you find any.

We are working on the delivery of a first (pilot) release of the Adapt Authoring tool, which is the better suitable starting point for less technical end users. I hope this makes sense and helps you determine whether Adapt is right for your project.

Thanks,
Sven

Picture of Ray Handley
by Ray Handley - Wednesday, 8 October 2014, 9:46 PM

Hi Sven,

I viewed the demo on YouTube the other day and some of the demos you linked to here and the authoring tool looks very promising. Some great work has gone into this. When you release the pilot of the tool will you be enlisting beta testers and if so what process will you use to provide feedback? I am keen to see more of the authoring tool and would be happy to help out as a beta tester, though I assume you will likely open this up more publicly.

We are very excited by the prospect of using Adapt for our projects. What is the likely time-frame for the release of the Pilot?

Regards,

Ray

me
by Sven Laux - Wednesday, 8 October 2014, 10:04 PM

Hi Ray,

thanks for your note and encouragement!

We've had some early discussions around how we release - this still has to be fleshed out somewhat but we're definitely keen to enlist beta testers. There have been several people in the community and we'll get back to everyone individually. It's likely that we will host a public sandpit for testing purposes; we just need to work through some of the details on where to host this and whether / how we build in automatic resets of the database etc. I think we'll have some more news on this before the end of November.

As for timeframes, we are playing it relatively safe and are saying that our v0.1 pilot will be out before the end of the year. Behind the scenes, we have some (VERY) early users already but we're giving them a lot of support and unfortunately, this is not something we can scale up and offer to the community and wider public just yet - at least not without totally derailing the project :-)

We're also starting to think about what we would like the engagement of beta testers to look like. This will likely mean there will be some briefings (and 'mild' expectations) of the beta testers, too. (e.g. on how and where to report issues etc).

For now, thank you very much for the offer and I hope we can take you up on this before the end of the year.

All the best,
Sven