Picture of x z
HTML block or component & Powerpoint
by x z - Thursday, 2 April 2015, 2:32 PM

I haven't yet tried the Authoring tool and I'm not a programmer/developer, but I'm planning a module on how to round off and count back change and would like to use Adapt to create it.

(1) Is/will there be a block or component by which one can input HTML code? I have several resources developed using tools that export in HTML format and would like to re-use these by copying and pasting in the code. Is/will this be possible?

(I've seen references to incorporating Storyline elements, but it's way too expensive for me, so I've had to go with open source and inexpensive alternatives that create good, clean code.)

(2) Is/will there be a block or component for incorporating Powerpoints -- particularly interactive ones -- WITHOUT having to link out to an external website such as Slideshare?

Thx.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: HTML block or component & Powerpoint
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 7 April 2015, 10:17 AM

Hi Sue

Regarding (1) - you should be able to add basic HTML in most of the text blocks within Adapt. But it sounds like you need something a bit more like YouTube embedding, for which an <iframe> component would probably be best. There isn't a core component that does this, but both Kineo and Learning Pool have developed community iframe components...

https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-contrib-iframe/tree/develop

https://github.com/LearningPool/adapt-contrib-responsiveIframe/

(2) - To the best of my knowledge, you can't display PowerPoint content directly on the web (so that it plays within the browser rather than downloading and opening in PowerPoint). A site like SlideShare will take your Powerpoint and convert it to HTML so that it does work on-line within the browser. You could just use the iframe component mentioned in (1) to embed the SlideShare content within your course though.

Hope this helps

Picture of x z
by x z - Wednesday, 8 April 2015, 9:22 PM

Thanks. Matt. I've found a tool that exports PPTs in HTML format with effects, transitions, and sound files (and I think videos) all preserved. It was not expensive, so I'll continue to use it when the authoring tool is ready.  

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Thursday, 3 September 2015, 6:48 AM

Hello Sue,

Our team has lots of resources in PPT with animations, really interrested in what tool you have used to convet it to HTML.

Picture of x z
by x z - Friday, 4 September 2015, 6:11 AM

I'm not ignoring your inquiry, John, but I have to get out an older computer to check it. It's been nearly a year since I was working with that software & I tested so many products at that time, the names have gotten confused in my memory. I'll get back to you.

-S