Picture of Rob Mausser
Joyride?
by Rob Mausser - Wednesday, 29 July 2015, 6:08 PM

Hi guys,

I am wondering if any sort of pop-up Joyride has been created for Adapt. 

A great example is the ones they have on Android now:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/zL9rr.png

Has anything been developed to explain elements to a first time user? 

It doesn't have to be this complex, just any sort of pop-up system.

Cheers!

Picture of Brian Quinn
Re: Joyride?
by Brian Quinn - Thursday, 30 July 2015, 8:19 AM

Hi Rob,

Do you mean as an extension for the framework or for the authoring tool?

In terms of the authoring tool, we do intend to have a guided overlay tutorial to explain how things work prior to version 1.0.

Brian

Picture of Rob Mausser
by Rob Mausser - Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 3:22 PM

I meant as an extension of the Framework, for learners using Adapt for the first time. 

Picture of Rob Mausser
by Rob Mausser - Sunday, 16 August 2015, 5:59 PM

So I guess I will take the silence as there is no sort of "directions" or "joyride" plugin for a learner on how to use Adapt.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 2:40 PM

Hi Rob

We've not implemented anything like this here at Kineo, that's for sure

To be honest, Adapt courses generally use design conventions and interactions that should be familiar to anyone who has used the web to any extent, so this level of help seems a bit over the top. I can see why it would be necessary in the Android example you give as many users probably would be unaware of how to do what is being shown - but we don't introduce interactions that advanced in our Adapt courses as a rule.

The main feedback we get is along the lines of people not being aware what the 'burger' icon does (a fairly common problem, solved with a tooltip) and concerns (unfounded IMO) that users will not know they need to scroll down (really?) - easily solved by having a 'scroll down' instruction or graphic just under the first block on the page.

Picture of Rob Mausser
by Rob Mausser - Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 7:14 PM

While I agree that Adapt should be intuitive, this is not the experience we are having unfortunately. 

A common one we are experiencing is that people have no idea to click the next arrow on a Block/Narrative Slider to see more content, even when we write an _instruction every single time.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 4:50 PM

You could add a slight 'pulsing' animation/effect to the next arrow? This should stop after a few pulses rather than be continuous, but we generally find this is sufficient to draw the users' attention to controls they might not otherwise notice.

Picture of Sam Tsiu
by Sam Tsiu - Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 3:26 AM

Hi Matt

Do you know if the navigation icon tooltip feature is implemented in V2? I couldn't find any configuration in the course.json file.

Thanks

Sam

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 4:48 PM

No it isn't - must be a Kineo-specific thing.

Picture of Sam Tsiu
by Sam Tsiu - Thursday, 20 August 2015, 2:46 AM

Thanks for the clarification.