Picture of Pedro Monteiro
Generating preview
by Pedro Monteiro - Tuesday, 4 August 2015, 8:47 PM

hi,

When I view my course results from this message:

Generating preview...

Your preview is taking some time to generate. Please wait...

some suggestion? thanks, regards
Picture of Ryan Lehmann
Re: Generating preview
by Ryan Lehmann - Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 12:09 PM

Hi, I'm experiencing the same thing on a fresh install of Builder as well. (It worked fine when I installed it two weeks ago.) 

It seems to me like maybe the framework 2.0 release has broken the authoring tool release?  The structure of the vanilla theme is totally different from what it was, so it definitely looks there have been major changes since my last install.  However, when I start the server, Builder still thinks I'm using v1.1.1 of the Framework. Running node upgrade does nothing. 

by Pedro Monteiro - Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 1:00 PM

how can I do to experience the previous version worked fine ? any command that I can run ? thanks
Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 1:15 PM

That's odd Ryan I never see that Adapt Builder version info. I haven't updated my builder's framework yet and it's still previewing ok, will upgrade to FW2.0 and see what happens.

Picture of Ryan Lehmann
by Ryan Lehmann - Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 1:56 PM

Thanks Helen.  And to confirm, the package.json file in my adapt_framework folder shows version: "2.0.0".  The adapt_authoring folder was a fresh clone from yesterday.

@Pedro.   I'm not sure what the best way to downgrade the framework would be.  

by Pedro Monteiro - Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 2:04 PM

thanks

Picture of lloyd hill
by lloyd hill - Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 8:30 PM

I am experiencing the same issue as Ryan. I downloaded authoring tool for the first time 2 days ago and followed every step and got that error and the course failed to preview .... It hung on "generating preview". And publish didn't work either as the zip file just contained the course folder. A resolution would be helpful!
by Pedro Monteiro - Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 9:19 PM

is strange, I have repeated many install in the last days and all attempts result this error.

everyone wants to contribute to make this work or is there a commercial interest for open source is not working?

thanks
Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 6 August 2015, 2:39 PM

Lloyd - what version of node do you have? You must have 0.10.33

Do you get the same screenshot as Ryan above? Try my grunt build solution below.

Let me know.

Helen

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Thursday, 6 August 2015, 4:21 AM

Hi all

I have just installed the builder on a laptop for some international guests to use while visiting (working!) and am getting the same issue.

Simon

by Pedro Monteiro - Thursday, 6 August 2015, 8:16 AM

I've tried to make older version installation to see if it works the build but takes the latest version .

Can someone provide the .zip with your root functioning of adapt_authoring ?
Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 6 August 2015, 2:50 PM

I don't think that would work as the adapt_authoring folder relies on data from MongoDB when you install - there would be too much to fix.

Sorry :(

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 6 August 2015, 2:37 PM

Ryan,

I managed to get to the point you do above in the screenshot.

CD to your adapt_authoring folder, use GRUNT BUILD then NODE SERVER - I now see my courses ok.

HTH

Helen

Picture of Ryan Lehmann
by Ryan Lehmann - Thursday, 6 August 2015, 3:15 PM

Hi Helen, 

Yes, we're able to view and edit courses, but not actually Preview or Publish any of them. I get the "Your preview is taking some time.." error that Pedro and others have reported. 

I mentioned the version/upgrade issue because I suspect the root of the above problem is that the 2.0 Framework that isn't compatible with the current authoring tool.  Instead of pulling in a framework version/repo that's been tested with the authoring tool, the authoring tool install just points to the latest version of the framework. Specifically, https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework.git which is defined in adapt_authoring\routes\install\index.js).  Two or three weeks ago it this contained a 1.1.x version of the framework and worked fine. Today, it contains the 2.0 release, which is why I suspect that's the problem.  

Hope that helps clarify the issue.

Cheers,

Ryan

Picture of Dennis Heaney
by Dennis Heaney - Thursday, 6 August 2015, 4:32 PM

Hi all,

A fresh install of the authoring tool should now be possible by following this post:

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=868

It should resolve the issue above.

Picture of Sebastiaan Schoute
by Sebastiaan Schoute - Wednesday, 12 August 2015, 1:35 PM

Same issue here.. just for statistics.. Will try solutions mentioned.. I am a new user and just have installed everything first time..