Picture of Praveen Bavoji
Adapt authoring tool installation
by Praveen Bavoji - Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 1:26 PM

Hi,

Can any body help me how to install Adapt authoring toll please.

Am following the installing procedure using this

link. https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Manual-installation-of-the-Adapt-framework#1

I have struct at Node.js installation.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Adapt authoring tool installation
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 4:38 PM

Hi Praveen

The instructions for installing the authoring tool are here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Installing-Adapt-Origin

The instructions you're looking at are for the underlying framework - which is used by the authoring tool, but which you don't need to install if you are installing the authoring tool.

You would only install the framework if you're happy working with Adapt at a more technical level i.e. editing JSON, using command line tools at all stages of the development process - that sort of thing. Or if you wanted to us the latest version of the framework (v2) which isn't - yet - available via the authoring tool.

If you get stuck anywhere do try searching these forums for the problem you're having/error you're getting. There are lots of helpful posts on here about the problems people have run into and solutions for them.

Hope this helps

by Praveen Bavoji - Thursday, 20 August 2015, 7:39 AM

Hi Matt Leathes

Thanks for the reply. And i have tried to install with the link which you have given me.

Here I have sucesfully installed git, node.js. 

When am trying to install using the command line "npm install -g grunt-cli" its showing the following screen. I have waited for several minutes. still its showing the same.

When am trying to type "npm -v" its showing the version in git bash shell. And I have followed the same instructions which are there in the link.

In FFMPEG installation also i faced the issue. when am checking in git bash shell it is not showing the installed version #.

Thanks in advance.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 20 August 2015, 12:40 PM

Maybe try that command in Git Bash instead of the Windows command line?

by Praveen Bavoji - Friday, 21 August 2015, 5:52 AM

Hi Matt Leathes,

I have tried with git bash as well. but still the same issue.

by Praveen Bavoji - Tuesday, 25 August 2015, 9:00 AM

Hi Matt Leathes,

Please give me a response on my question. I have structed at this. Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 25 August 2015, 11:09 AM

Hi Praveen

Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been on holiday the past few days.

I have never run into this issue before.

As Grunt is actually a third party product it's difficult to help much - but my best guess is that, if you're not getting any actual errors and it's just sitting there, npm (node package manager) is struggling to get access to the files - perhaps something in your internet connection blocking it (or making it really slow)?

Picture of Greg Sweet
by Greg Sweet - Tuesday, 25 August 2015, 12:55 PM

Hi Praveen,

As Matt has suggested, on the surface it looks like npm is being blocked from Internet access.  

If you have to provide a user ID and password to get to the Internet, you will have to supply npm (and possibly git and bower depending on your set up) with your credentials as well. See http://wil.boayue.com/blog/2013/06/14/using-npm-behind-a-proxy/ for a good write up of how to do this from the command line. Some people have better luck using an environment var to provide the credentials.

If that's not the issue, try running the npm command with more verbose output to see if you can get a better handle where the error is occurring. These flags (info | verbose | silly) will give you increasing levels of detail. Start with info and only move on to verbose or silly if info doesn't catch the issue.

$ npm install -g package --loglevel info

$ npm install -g package --verbose

$ npm install -g package --loglevel silly

Cheers!

Greg