Picture of Paul Steven
[Authoring Tool] Copy and paste page from one course to another
by Paul Steven - Thursday, 14 January 2016, 3:11 PM

I realise that it is not currently possible to copy and paste an element such as a page from one course to another. I am sure this functionality would require checking for ID conflicts behind the scenes.

Anyway I am just curious if this could be done manually using the files that the Adapt Authoring Tool/Builder downloads when the publishing a course.

Say for example I had a course with 3 separate pages each of which was being created in the authoring tool by a separate person. Currently this can be done but if any one of these pages is in a state that cannot be previewed, it prevents all 3 people previewing their page.

So as a solution I wondered if each of these people could work on a separate course (this course could be a clone of a master course to ensure they all have the same global settings). Then once they have each completed their page within their separate course. All 3 of the courses could be published and then the following steps performed to amalgamate the pages from all 3 into one course.

Copy all assets into the assets of the master course

Edit the articles.json, blocks.json, components.json etc to ensure there are no ID conflicts and ensure the menu screen opens each of the 3 pages. The master copy of the course would have had the theme and menu all set up before the 3 instances of the course were created to allow each of the 3 people to create their pages independently.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with experience of the authoring tool behind the scenes whether this is a potentially viable solution to combining pages from separate courses to ease the workflow on a project like this.

I appreciate it would be one way traffic as there is no way to get this amalgamated course back into the authoring tool.

Thanks in advance