Picture of Simon Date
Re: Using the Authoring Tool on tablets
by Simon Date - Monday, 7 March 2016, 1:14 PM

I should have made clear that this wouldn't be a huge task to do just updating some double click interactions to buttons and ensuring that any information that requires 'hover' states are redesigned.

Matt - regarding your point of Windows tablets. I've never used one myself so I don't know if their input works. Does double taps on the resize the screen like on Android and iOS or do they work like the desktop version of Windows?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 7 March 2016, 2:19 PM

To be honest it's been so long since I used one I can't remember - and this was before Windows 10 anyway. There's a couple of people at Kineo you could ask, I've sent you details separately.

Picture of Neil Hone
by Neil Hone - Friday, 11 March 2016, 8:19 PM

Hi Simon, 

I've been using the authoring tool on a Surface Pro 3 with no problems. One advantage to this is that I get immediate feedback on how certain interactions work on a touch device or I can go ahead and use the track pad on the type cover for a desktop type interaction. 

I haven't had any problems with double clicks. 

Picture of Simon Date
by Simon Date - Monday, 14 March 2016, 12:35 PM

Hi Neil, Thanks for the feedback!

That seems really useful. to be able to test multiple inputs on a single device.

Would you like to see the AT redesigned away from double clicks and towards buttons so that you don't have to rely on using the trackpad to enter pages and courses to edit them?

Simon

Picture of Neil Hone
by Neil Hone - Thursday, 17 March 2016, 3:15 AM

Hi Simon,

I've just done a quick trial of selecting items in the AT without using the track pad and haven't really encountered any problems. It may actually be easier to use touch than the track pad on the Surface. I imagine using an iPad or Android tablet may be a different experience.

Personally, I think the buttons might get in the way of my workflow.

Cheers,

Neil

Picture of Simon Date
by Simon Date - Thursday, 24 March 2016, 10:21 AM

Thanks for testing this Neil!

From my testing on both Android and iOS tablets of the current AT I found that both double taps and drag and drop don't work at all. To be fair they are only used on a few screens so if we could find a quick way around this then it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I can appreciate what you mean about buttons getting in the workflow. I feel like before design is started on the design refresh (we are currently doing a quicker UI update). We should research how to UX that allow tablets use without creating a slower interface on other platforms.If we come to the conclusion that double taps are indeed better then maybe we could enable 'long-presses' instead of double clicks.