Picture of Rafael Chaves
course project won't work when checked out from a git repo
by Rafael Chaves - Thursday, 13 March 2014, 9:28 PM

This is what I am seeing: a project as created works fine in the machine/location it was originally created. If you push the course project into a git repo (node_modules are ignored), and then check it out  from a different machine or a different location,  the project will not work.

The reason it seems is twofold.

Problem #1: It is now missing the grunt dependency (because node_modules are not committed). However a node install (without arguments) will not fix things. It will fail due to karma being 0.9.8 while karma-coffee-preprocessor wants karma 0.11. It seems this is hitting this karma-runner bug.

I am a nodejs/npm newbie, but it seems changing the devDependency to >=0.10 addresses this issue. npm install will do the right thing afterwards.

However, a grunt build will still fail due to a missing templates directory.

Which takes us to Problem #2: the project generated by the adapt tool excludes the "templates", and a grunt build will fail to regen it - the handlebars task says:

"Destination not written because compiled files were empty"

Am I missing some step, or are these two problems actual bugs?

EDIT: It seems I was missing an "adapt install" command as well. That avoids the "problem #2" above, which is not a real problem. Is there a document explaining how to build a project you got from the SCM? Maybe it should be there in the Getting Started page.