Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Completion status/Grade display in LMS
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 3 March 2017, 12:25 PM

Glad to be of help - and thank you for taking the time to share your solution.

Picture of Richard Lilleker
by Richard Lilleker - Wednesday, 1 August 2018, 8:02 AM

Hi,

I've been trying to get Adapt content working with the SCORM player in Blackboard. Having followed the information provided in this thread, I've managed to get the Adapt package to write a grade (as a percentage) back to Blackboard, but what I'm struggling to do is track individual assessment elements and see the students' responses (as shown in the screenshot above).

Are there any additional settings I need to configure to get this to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Rich

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 1 August 2018, 8:50 AM

Yes - the setting _shouldRecordInteractions in the spoor plugin. It should be enabled by default

by Richard Lilleker - Wednesday, 1 August 2018, 9:07 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, we've got this setting enabled, as far as I can see. Is it this one?

Unfortunately nothing is getting written back.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 1 August 2018, 9:51 AM

Yes, that's the setting.

Unfortunately nothing is getting written back.

If that setting is enabled and Adapt detects that the LMS supports cmi.interactions it will always try to send the user's responses to the LMS.

You should be able to see this in action by pressing the keys 'd', 'e' and 'v' whilst the course is running to show the SCORM debug window (or enable it in the spoor settings).

Whether the LMS does anything with the data the course sends to it or not is another matter! Some LMSes report that they support cmi.interactions but then simply discard that data.

From the posts above it looks like you can get Blackboard to handle cmi.interactions and report on the data, but how you'd do that in Blackboard is a question for the Blackboard forums.

by Richard Lilleker - Wednesday, 1 August 2018, 11:05 AM

Here's a snippet from the SCORM debug window when running the package from within Blackboard.

11:45:38.022 ScormWrapper::getValue: returning u0024510
11:45:44.715 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.suspend_data _value={"lang":"en","assessment":{"Assessment Number 1":[0,0,null,0,1,{"5b6078ba6d36e17506e01eee":null}],"Test Your Knowledge 1":[0,0,null,null,0,{"5b5f19466d36e17506e01df3":null}]}}
11:45:47.023 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.suspend_data _value={"lang":"en","assessment":{"Assessment Number 1":[0,0,null,0,1,{"5b6078ba6d36e17506e01eee":false}],"Test Your Knowledge 1":[0,0,null,null,0,{"5b5f19466d36e17506e01df3":null}]}}
11:45:47.026 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.suspend_data _value={"lang":"en","assessment":{"Assessment Number 1":[1,1,10,0,0,{"5b6078ba6d36e17506e01eee":false}],"Test Your Knowledge 1":[0,0,null,null,0,{"5b5f19466d36e17506e01df3":null}]}}
11:45:47.028 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.suspend_data _value={"lang":"en","assessment":{"Assessment Number 1":[1,1,10,0,0,{"5b6078ba6d36e17506e01eee":false}],"Test Your Knowledge 1":[0,0,null,null,0,{"5b5f19466d36e17506e01df3":null}]},"completion":"-00","questions":"CIhOiBYQCAA4MeCgI","_isCourseComplete":false,"_isAssessmentPassed":false}
11:45:47.042 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.suspend_data _value={"lang":"en","assessment":{"Assessment Number 1":[1,1,10,0,0,{"5b6078ba6d36e17506e01eee":false}],"Test Your Knowledge 1":[0,0,null,null,0,{"5b5f19466d36e17506e01df3":null}]},"completion":"-01","questions":"CIhOiBYQCAA4MeCgI","_isCourseComplete":false,"_isAssessmentPassed":false}
11:55:37.947 ScormWrapper::commit

It looks like the assessment IDs are being detected. Does the "cmi.suspend_data" field mean have anything to do with it?

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 1 August 2018, 1:51 PM

Does the "cmi.suspend_data" field mean have anything to do with it?

No, that's for tracking the 'internal state' of the course. Might be worth having a read of a SCORM guide like this one.

Assuming you were answering questions in the course whilst that data was being generated, then something's clearly not working as you should be seeing something like this:

13:46:24.511 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.suspend_data _value={"a11y":false,"lang":"en","assessment":{"":[0,0,null,0,1,{"c-140":null,"c-110":null,"c-100":null,"c-120":null}]}}
13:46:24.534 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.core.lesson_location _value=co-15
13:46:26.602 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.core.lesson_location _value=c-140
13:46:26.783 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.suspend_data _value={"a11y":false,"lang":"en","assessment":{"":[0,0,null,0,1,{"c-140":false,"c-110":null,"c-100":null,"c-120":null}]}}
13:46:26.786 ScormWrapper::isSupported: _property=cmi.interactions._count
13:46:26.788 ScormWrapper::getValue: _property=cmi.interactions._count
13:46:26.790 ScormWrapper::getValue: returning 0
13:46:26.791 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.interactions.0.id _value=c-140
13:46:26.793 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.interactions.0.type _value=choice
13:46:26.795 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.interactions.0.student_response _value=1
13:46:26.796 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.interactions.0.result _value=wrong
13:46:26.798 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.interactions.0.time _value=13:46:26
13:46:26.827 ScormWrapper::setValue: _property=cmi.suspend_data _value={"a11y":false,"lang":"en","assessment":{"":[0,0,null,0,1,{"c-140":false,"c-110":null,"c-100":null,"c-120":null}]},"completion":"00000000000000000100","questions":"","_isCourseComplete":false,"_isAssessmentPassed":false}

Specifically the lines in bold.

Three things to bear in mind:

1. it's possible to disable interaction tracking for any single question, so check that you haven't done this by ensuring that the 'Record interaction' setting is checked at the question level.
  2. generally speaking, only question components built, maintained & supported by the Adapt Open Source team are guaranteed to support cmi.interactions tracking. 3rd party question components will only do so if their developers have taken the time to add support
  3. old versions (as in pre-2016) of the authoring tool/framework didn't have support for interaction tracking

Things you might try next:

• running the course from either the 'scorm test harness' (use scorm_test_harness.html as the launch page when previewing from the authoring tool) with the SCORM debug window open - or from SCORM Cloud.
  • building the sample course from the Framework and having a look through that - this is definitely set up correctly to track to cmi.interactions (I did that to get the above debug output). You'll want to use the legacy branch since that's what the Authoring Tool uses.
by Richard Lilleker - Wednesday, 1 August 2018, 3:46 PM

Thanks for clarifying the information.

Looks like there's definitely something wrong as the lines you highlighted in bold are not appearing in the debug window when interacting with the questions.

I've double-checked all of the settings and things you've mentioned:

• We've got "Record Interaction" enabled for every question and also at the top-level for the Spoor plugin in the Course.
  • We're using only the built-in multiple choice question component, which I imagine should support the cmi.interactions tracking?
  • Our version of the authoring tool is the latest version.

I've also tried running the package from SCORM Cloud but the same thing happens - no sign of the cmi.interactions in the SCORM debug window.

As for building the course from the framework - we can have a look into giving this a go but ideally we'd want everything to be output from the Authoring Tool.

Seems a bit of a mystery as to why it's not working as intended.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 1 August 2018, 4:33 PM

As for building the course from the framework - we can have a look into giving this a go but ideally we'd want everything to be output from the Authoring Tool.

I get that, the point of building from the framework is just so you can see a sample course with everything correctly setup - and so assure yourself that it does work when set up correctly.

The authoring tool is just a different method of generating content for the framework, after all.

If you're able to share the course you're having problems with (either as an attachment here or via PM) I don't mind taking a quick look - but please make sure you publish with 'Generate sourcemap' enabled (configuration settings) so that I can debug if need be!

by Richard Lilleker - Thursday, 2 August 2018, 9:10 AM

Thanks for offering to take a look at the course.

I've attached it here for you; this is just a very, very basic test course that we put together whilst trying to get to grips with Adapt and test various things. It includes two multiple choice questions.

I've published with "Generate sourcemap" enabled so you should be able to debug if need be.

Thanks again.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 2 August 2018, 2:52 PM

OK, well that was fun to get my head around but I think I've figured it out... basically MCQ v2.2.0 moved the functions required by the cmi.interaction tracking code from the plugin's view to the model.

Unfortunately, doing so has caused a few issues which have been resolved in the v3 version of Adapt but obviously haven't been resolved in Adapt v2.

We'll need to have a think about how to resolve this properly for Adapt v2 - in the meantime this might be easiest for you to resolve by using MCQ v2.1.2 - I don't think there's anything in the later versions you'd even be able to take advantage of unless you also have Adapt v3

by Richard Lilleker - Thursday, 2 August 2018, 3:00 PM

Thanks for having a look - much appreciated. Seems like you've got to the bottom of it.

We're using the latest version of the Authoring Tool which contains v2.2.1 of the MCQ component. Is there an easy way we can revert to v2.1.2 without doing an entire re-install?

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 2 August 2018, 3:35 PM

Is there an easy way we can revert to v2.1.2 without doing an entire re-install?

That is an excellent question - and one I can't help with as my knowledge of the workings of the authoring tool is pretty basic I'm afraid... hopefully someone else who actually knows the AAT well can advise!

Could be worth asking in the authoring tool chat room?

I've logged a ticket for this issue here btw.

by Richard Lilleker - Friday, 3 August 2018, 10:46 AM

Out of interest, I tried installing version 2.1.2 over the top of the latest version and it appeared to install without any issues.

I tested SCORM again but unfortunately I was still getting the same logs in the debug window for MCQs.

Decided to go back another version to 2.1.1 and I think this one is recording the cmi.interactions correctly. Need to do some further testing with the LMS but it's looking good so far!