Picture of Mark D'Aquin
Node Server | Multi User
by Mark D'Aquin - Wednesday, 4 November 2015, 1:35 PM

I have set up additional users in my application environment and can successfully login with each user, but when I try to run node server in two different accounts at the same time it will not work. I am getting the following...

events.js:72

throw er; // Unhandled 'error' event

^

Error: listen EADDRINUSE

From what I am reading it is because I am trying to run multiple processes on the port. Has anyone worked through this issue?

Picture of Brian Quinn
Re: Node Server | Multi User
by Brian Quinn - Wednesday, 4 November 2015, 2:15 PM

Hi Mark,

Why do you need to run the application twice?  It's a web application not a desktop application.

Just run it once and you should be able to login with each user.  I should stress though that the authoring tool doesn't officially support multiple users right now.

Brian

Picture of Mark D'Aquin
by Mark D'Aquin - Wednesday, 4 November 2015, 2:32 PM

Hi Brian,

I guess I am a bit confused.

If you open another window it will open in the users account that is currently logged in, so you would have to log out to log in as another user.

Best Regards,

Mark

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Thursday, 5 November 2015, 11:59 AM

Hi Mark,

For starters, you're probably running into issues due to the fact that your separate instances of the authoring tool are trying to use the same port. 

As Brian mentioned, the authoring tool is a server-based web app, so you should be able to log in from multiple locations simultaneously (provided your sever is accessible to others). If you're testing multiple users on a single machine, you'll need to log in using multiple browsers, or using something like Chrome's 'incognito' mode.  

Note that if you have several users working on the same course simultaneously, you may run into concurrency issues/data corruption as the tool doesn't as yet have proper user management.

Picture of Mark D'Aquin
by Mark D'Aquin - Thursday, 5 November 2015, 3:06 PM

Thanks so much! Have it working now.

What would be the pro's/con's of having one dev account where people only work on their projects? Because if we do it this way then people could work on the same project, but would just have to communicate when they are in it. Or, does it make more sense to set up individual accounts. 

If they have individual accounts and are working/supporting the supporting the same project they would need to be able to export/import the projects. (I think that this is what is being worked on - right?)

Thanks, Mark