Picture of Gareth Walker
Adapt hotspot menu
by Gareth Walker - Wednesday, 11 November 2015, 10:30 PM

Hi--

Does anyone have any experience of using the adapt-hotspot-menu (https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-hotspot-menu) they could share?

I've spent a bit of time trying to puzzle out how to use, without success. Does box-menu need to be uninstalled before use? And is it V2 ready?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
Re: Adapt hotspot menu
by Chuck Lorenz - Wednesday, 11 November 2015, 10:56 PM

Hi Gareth,

Hopefully someone from Kineo will provide more info about its status; but if it helps your experimentation, yes, only one menu at at a time, only one theme at a time.

Kineo has been generous in the past in sharing its plug-ins, and they are working now to release some more to the public. These include some that are already public on their repo, but they want to do a little more work to ensure their stability, accessibility, and compatibility with the authoring tool. Perhaps hotspot-menu will be one in this group. Seeing that Kirsty has made some commits to make it compatible with V2, I suspect it already works with the framework v2 and that you are not wasting your time. With no properties.schema, it obviously will not work in the authoring tool. 

Chuck

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 12 November 2015, 10:45 AM

Hi Gareth

If you post any specific questions you have here one of us will do our best to answer them. At this stage I can't really add anything to what Chuck has said.

Picture of Gareth Walker
by Gareth Walker - Thursday, 12 November 2015, 4:27 PM

Thanks for the information so far. It's useful to know it's probably me!

I've been using the example.json (https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-hotspot-menu/blob/master/example.json) to try and implement in a course, having first removed box menu.

Going from the example.json, I thought I needed to add both a menu and page item in the contentobjects.json. That doesn't seem to work as I'd expect, but I've never used sub-menus before so possibly that's what's tripping me up.

I'll play around a bit more and see if I can come up with a more articulate/specific question. 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 12 November 2015, 7:30 PM

that's right, you need to include a "menu" item and one or more "page" items in contentObjects.json (one page item for each hotspot that will be on the menu).

All the "page" items' _parentId should be set to the _id of the "menu" item.

Picture of Rob Mausser
by Rob Mausser - Thursday, 7 July 2016, 8:14 PM

Does this work for Adapt 2.0?

It doesnt seem to be working properly for me :/ 

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Friday, 8 July 2016, 11:15 AM

Yep, it's v2.0.0 compatible.

You can check a plugin's bower.json to find the versions of the framework it supports (any plugins without this attribute should be avoided): 

https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-hotspot-menu/blob/master/bower.json#L4

Picture of Rob Mausser
by Rob Mausser - Friday, 8 July 2016, 5:08 PM

That is bizzare, as it is not working at all properly for me. 

I think I need some assistance on how to use this plugin. 

The popups do not show images, and are all broken. Mobile view absolutely messes everything up. I cannot get the hotspot menu to appear on the first page (course.json) 

Is there any more step by step instructions for it?

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 8 July 2016, 7:28 PM

I don't think it's one we use very often so it's quite possible there could be some issues with it.

If you could post a link to a sample of the output and send over your contentObjects.json we can try and take a look for you

FYI I think _hotspotMenuGraphic goes in course.json if you want the hotspot menu to be the top level item

Picture of Rob Mausser
by Rob Mausser - Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 8:02 PM

Heres the sample build

http://ww2.redwoodelearning.com/hotspot-menu/

Heres the files. 

Picture of Rob Mausser
by Rob Mausser - Wednesday, 20 July 2016, 7:09 PM

Nothing? 

Would love some assistance with this.

Thanks

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Thursday, 21 July 2016, 6:42 AM

Hey Rob - 

We just checked the output and inspected the elements. You have both the menu's in the folder, box as well as hotspot. Due to which you are not able to get it work correctly. Delete the box-menu folder.

Find attached the screenshot of the issue. The second item list seems to be of a box menu.

Thanks!

Regards,

Aniket

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Saturday, 9 July 2016, 9:44 AM

Hey Rob - long time.. :)

Send over the course folder. We can get it done. Do email me on my new ID... aniket.dharia@vyassystems.com

Thanks!

Regards,

Aniket