Picture of Brian Knowles
Adding additional JQuery Plugins
by Brian Knowles - Thursday, 16 January 2014, 4:27 PM

Will it be possible to add additional, bespoke, functionality to the core code base via JQuery plugins?

Example, Tool Tips are not part of the Adapt core code base. Will it be possible to integrate the Tool Tip with JQuery core already used with Adapt?

me
Re: Adding additional JQuery Plugins
by Sven Laux - Friday, 17 January 2014, 1:31 PM

Hi Brian, thanks for raising this question. Daryl is best placed to answer. He will be back on Monday, so you may have to wait for an answer until then. Hope that's ok.

Sven

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Wednesday, 22 January 2014, 8:09 AM

Hey Brian,

It's a good question and in a simple answer yes it is possible.

But I would see this being a plugin. If we're talking about the jQuery UI tooltip plugin and you wanted to add it into core core - let's say you want a tooltip on hover of the menu button - you would want to listen to an event and tap into that event. This way you're not affecting core code and are instead enhancing Adapt with a plugin. This is the preferred route that we suggest you take.

We also have a conditional loader that pulls in the different versions of jQuery so core serves up v1.* for older browsers and v2.* for newer versions. These jQuery versions will get updated whenever a core release is issued.

After Learning Technologies I would really like to give a demonstration of how easy it is to add/enhance Adapt through the use of plugins. I'll post up here with the details in a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Oscar Arango
by Oscar Arango - Thursday, 10 September 2015, 2:37 PM

Hi Daryl,

Was wondering if you still plan on following up with this?  I'm in need of a tooltip plugin my self and a video of how to create plugins would have been great.

thanks,