Picture of M T
Adapt learning for building complex e-learning course
by M T - Saturday, 21 November 2015, 8:07 PM

Hi!

I intend to create some e-learning desktop app and I perceived this authorization tool as promising for that purpose.
There are some features I'd like to have included in this app (some of them are more complex!):
- large movies player
- html source code files/movies/etc. not accessable from explorer level (password protection?)
- source code files packaged in single .exe file
- user interface adjusted to my needs
- working on different platforms

Is there possibility to achieve these features in Adapt learning?
Any replies appreciated!

M

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Adapt learning for building complex e-learning course
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 23 November 2015, 10:28 AM

Good morning M

I have previously used nwjs for this. It is quite fiddly to get working right, but it looks like it would meet most of your needs, insofar as I understand them.

It would also be possible to build something using Adobe AIR - but that relies on the user having/installing the AIR framework - and it creates an installable application rather than just a click-to-run program.

Picture of Gareth Walker
by Gareth Walker - Monday, 23 November 2015, 11:34 AM

A couple of other options to investigate could be https://github.com/adobe/brackets-shell and http://electron.atom.io/. The latter seems the better supported/documented.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 23 November 2015, 12:25 PM

Electron looks pretty good, I'd be tempted to give that a go.

Picture of M T
by M T - Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 10:10 PM

Hi!

Thanks for replies!

Matt, I've tried nw.js already, but I wasn't able to get through password protection problem. Basically, I attempted to achieve something similar to this: executable file + folder with "valuable" content (movies, multimedia, etc.) encrypted with password. This way it would be protected on Windows explorer level. On the other hand, password would be stored in source code of .exe file, so it can open movies.

Gareth and Matt, I'll give Electron a go.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 25 November 2015, 10:37 AM

Hi M T

You can use nw.js to package up your content so that it's all stored in the .exe - though if the end-user knows how nw.js works they will still be able to reverse-engineer that to get at the files. But that's going to be the case no matter what you do: you are not going to be able to prevent someone from copying the content if that's what they are determined to do. Even at the most obvious and basic level they could just use software to capture their screen whilst watching the video...

Picture of Wes Atkinson
by Wes Atkinson - Friday, 4 December 2015, 4:29 PM

Hi M T,

Appitierre has been working on something that houses an Adapt LMS called Bloom on a Capsule: a battery powered school which uses Adapt as the primary content player to bring free learning to the disconnected. They do this at cost for not for profits in order to make a difference to the communities who need help the most. 

Appitierre found that the demand was so high with in the corporate environment they created the Capsule Pro which houses both Appitierre's platform Bloom and Evolve, their Adapt authoring tool on a secure tool on a portable device.

Appitierres post about their original capsule is here:  

I'm sure Appitierre would be happy to speak to you about how they implemented it onto a portable device

Picture of x z
by x z - Monday, 7 December 2015, 3:07 AM

Hi Wes, 

I'm so glad to hear that things are going well. I came across this website today and thought immediately of your project -- http://learning.xprize.org/press-release/xprize-announces-its-next-moonshot-bringing-literacy-250-million-children

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Tuesday, 8 December 2015, 12:25 PM

Hi Sue,

Thanks for sharing this link. Appitierre did look at this quite a while ago but were too late for it unfortunately!

On another note, Appitierre have just teamed up with the m-ubuntu project here. They loved how Adapt works across multiple devices and how easy it is to create multi-device learning. Being able to bring free learning in a nice structure instead of PDF content should really help the disconnected learners.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of x z
by x z - Tuesday, 8 December 2015, 4:27 PM

Are you familiar with Commonwealth of Learning? They have many projecr streams -- https://www.col.org/what-we-do and may be interested.