Picture of Ryan Lehmann
Accessibility support in authoring tool?
by Ryan Lehmann - Thursday, 26 November 2015, 3:27 PM

Hi, 

I finally managed to the get the authoring tool upgrade to work, but there seems to be one little problem with my upgraded courses--specifically the Enable accessibility setting in configuration settings. 

If I go into the Config settings for a course and click save without even making any changes, the Preview stops working (the "Loading" icon spins forever, but no errors are logged in the console).  If I go back and set "Enable accessibility" to false, it starts working again.  Re-enable it and the preview fails again. 

I don't see any other posts here or issues in github about, but maybe I missed something. Is this a bug or is accessibility not supported in courses that were initially created in 1.1 maybe?  

{I noticed a new bug fix was pushed regarding the config settings, but upgrading to 1.4 didn't change anything}

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Accessibility support in authoring tool?
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 26 November 2015, 4:58 PM

Hi Ryan

When you're talking about 1.1 & 1.4 - are you referring to the framework or the authoring tool? It's just that neither the framework nor the authoring tool have ever had a v1.4 release

Picture of Ryan Lehmann
by Ryan Lehmann - Thursday, 26 November 2015, 5:36 PM

Hi Matt,

I'm referring to the authoring tool.  The 1.4 update was pushed to Github just a few hours ago. 

Thanks,

Ryan

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Thursday, 26 November 2015, 5:38 PM

Hi Ryan,

Can you go into Project Settings and click Save, then try a full re-build again, e.g. re-selecting a menu before hitting Preview?

Turning accessibility on requires certain attributes included in your JSON.  These are unlikely to be there if you have a pre v2.0 version of the course, but saving Project Settings should add them.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Picture of Ryan Lehmann
by Ryan Lehmann - Thursday, 26 November 2015, 6:17 PM

Thanks Brian.... although the result is very strange. That worked on one of my courses, but on two others, the Preview still won't load after a full re-build. 

Picture of Ryan Lehmann
by Ryan Lehmann - Tuesday, 8 December 2015, 6:16 PM

I'm still stuck on this.  I've tried upgrading the server several times, but I still can't preview some of my courses. I've tried saving the Project Settings, saving Configuration Settings, and rebuilding (by changing theme, menu, extensions) in dozens of combinations.

Some courses never seem to work with Accessibility enabled, while others work some of the time.  In my latest attempt, the Save button on the Configuration settings page also seems to spin endlessly if I haven't made any changes on the page.

Would REALLY love to upgrade our production server, but I'm nervous that if I don't get these projects upgraded properly now, they'll never be able to work with accessibility enabled. Is that a legitimate concern, or would it be safe to go ahead and upgrade and it should be fixable later on if we can figure out what the problem is?

Thanks,

Ryan

Picture of Ryan Lehmann
by Ryan Lehmann - Wednesday, 9 December 2015, 1:28 PM

Ok, I actually got this working (mostly).  I'm not sure if all of these steps are required, but what worked in case someone else stumbles into this:

1. Enable the Spoor and Page Level Progress extensions.  The PLP extension seemed to be the key here, even if it wasn't used in the course previously.  No idea why. 
  2. Go into Configuration Settings and change one of the Spoor settings (for example, change the timeout from 2000 ms to 2001 ms) and Save.
  3. Go into Project Settings and Save
  4. Rebuild.

The only glitch is that the Save button in the Config Settings page will spin continuously and not save if you haven't actually made any changes to the settings.  But you can hit Cancel instead. It does seem to save just fine if you have made changes on the page.