Picture of Paul Steven
Creating multiple user accounts on server based install of Adapt authoring tool
by Paul Steven - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 7:52 AM

I managed to install the Adapt authoring tool on a linux based server yesterday. Ideally I would like to set up separate logins for my colleagues so they have their own test areas. So basically different usernames and passwords and so that one person logging in will not see the courses created by the other person logging in.

What are the steps for creating multiple users?

Picture of Tom Taylor
Re: Creating multiple user accounts on server based install of Adapt authoring tool
by Tom Taylor - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 10:50 AM

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, the authoring tool currently only supports single-user.

User management is something that's planned for development in the very near future, but we've not even chalked in a possible start date for this for this, so there isn't likely to be any movement for a good few months yet.

We'll be posting any updates right here in the community forum, so check back regularly.

Picture of Paul Steven
Re: Creating multiple user accounts on server based install of Adapt authoring tool
by Paul Steven - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 11:04 AM

Thank you for your reply Tom.

Due to the fairly complex installation process, we had hoped to offer a server based install of the authoring tool for our Instructional Designers to use. In which case they ideally need their own log ins and areas to store their courses.

That is a shame it is not on the road map for a good few months yet.

Picture of David Pesce
by David Pesce - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 1:38 PM

This explains how to do it:

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=961

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 2:49 PM

Thanks David. I will give that a go once I get my authoring tool to behave

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 2:54 PM

David,

Most of the functionality will work fine using this method, but you've got to watch the publish/preview process; at the moment, it's possible to cause file corruption by logging in as two different users and previewing/publishing at the same time (due to the fact that courses are built in the same location regardless of the current user -- i.e.adapt_authoring/temp/TENANT/adapt_framework/TENANT/COURSE/build). 

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 3:15 PM

Thanks Tom for the heads up on that potential issue - that is a bit of a show stopper for my needs as it is highly likely multiple instructional designers will be working and previewing/publishing at the same time.

Hopefully the multi-user solution on your road map will not suffer from these issues.

Picture of David Pesce
by David Pesce - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 3:33 PM

The way we've gotten around that is to use the 'share' option as a check-in/check-out. 

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 3:53 PM

That's certainly one way around the issue, although it doesn't allow multiple users to work simultaneously on the same project. 

The complete, fleshed-out feature would involve considerable effort to specify/develop, but I can certainly see us implementing a 'quick win' solution which fixes this build issue, and adds the ability to easily create new users (these two things alone would probably satisfy the majority of our users) with us rolling out more functionality incrementally as and when resource is available.

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 4:03 PM

So just to clarify, if I set up multiple users using the method outlined by David, if the users are working on different courses and previewing and publishing at the same time is this fine? Is the problem Tom has highlighted if more than one user attempts to work on the same course and preview/publish at the same time?

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Thursday, 3 December 2015, 4:30 PM

Yep, should be fine for separate users to work on (and preview/publish) their own courses simultaneously (make sure to turn off the 'Share with other users' option in Project Settings).

One thing you need to watch when duplicating users is that you give each cloned user a new ID. Otherwise, the application will think that the new user created (and therefore has write access to) courses created by the original user.