Picture of Steve Liew
Using exported courses without LMS
by Steve Liew - Sunday, 13 December 2015, 9:38 AM

Hi there, 

Just wondering if it's possible to build a course in the authoring tool, download that course (as a standalone course) and build a custom delivery app around the exported course, without a LMS? Seems possible from this post but not sure how to disable the contrib-spoor extension, and am unsure how I should proceed after that. 

Thanks in advance!

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Using exported courses without LMS
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 3:19 PM

Hi Steve

Sorry about the slow response. I don't use the authoring tool myself but you should be able to uninstall it using the Plugin Manager.

As for whether you could build a custom delivery app around the exported course... kind of depends what you mean by 'custom delivery app'?

Picture of Steve Liew
by Steve Liew - Tuesday, 19 January 2016, 3:27 AM

Hi Matt, Sorry for the late response too! was away for the holidays and missed your reply. 

Have figured out how to remove the spoor plugin, thanks for that. 

We're building a product and am thinking of building the learning portal of it around Adapt, but am unsure if we need a LMS for the progress tracking, or will using the downloaded files from the adapt builder and modifying those would be enough. 

Thanks again, and hope you've had a good start to 2016!

-steve

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 19 January 2016, 9:50 AM

Hi Steve

Without an LMS, Adapt will not be able to remember the user's progress across sessions and across devices.

There are other ways of achieving this - but SCORM 1.2 is what Adapt uses because that's still the most commonly-used method of handling tracking in e-learning courses.

If including an LMS is a big problem, you could leave the spoor plugin installed and instead launch the course from scorm_test_harness.html - this will cause the plugin to track to cookies on the user's computer/device. Obviously if they move to another device their progress tracking will not be carried across.