Picture of Arend Raifsnider
_externalTranscript Issues
by Arend Raifsnider - Saturday, 9 January 2016, 9:37 PM

Hi all. I've got a series of videos that I've placed in a block slider extension. The transcription is too long to fit underneath the video in the block slider, as the text gets cut off in the default dimensions for the block slider. I could make it larger but I fear that might be a problem for some screens. Instead, I decided to use the "externalTranscript" command in the media component. I've placed a PDF of the transcript in the assets folder and linked to that folder in the "transcriptLink." However, when I run grunt server and select the Transcript button it opens a new window but can't find the document. I thought it might need to be on a server, so I loaded it to Scormcloud but I get a page not found error.

Has anyone done this successfully, and where am I going wrong?

Thanks,

Arend

Picture of Simon Ray
Re: _externalTranscript Issues
by Simon Ray - Sunday, 10 January 2016, 10:52 PM

Hi Arend

There's a few ways around this perhaps...

1. Host the videos as an unlisted video on YouTube and make use of the Closed Captioning and upload the transcript to the YouTube page. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734796?hl=en
  2. Use the resources panel to host the pdf of the transcript.
  3. Have the pdf of the transcript on your LMS.

Just some quick thoughts for you...

Simon

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 11 January 2016, 11:41 AM

Hi Arend

There's no reason why this shouldn't work. I've just tried it myself using a fresh copy of the framework, linking to the file transcript.pdf that's already in the assets folder - works fine.

Best suggestion is that you double-check you've definitely got the correct path in the transcriptLink property, specifically with respect to case-sensitivity

Picture of Arend Raifsnider
by Arend Raifsnider - Monday, 11 January 2016, 3:51 PM

You were right, of course! Thanks Matt.