Picture of Chuck Lorenz
When is contrib-blank necessary?
by Chuck Lorenz - Wednesday, 13 January 2016, 6:02 PM

I develop courses in the framework as a stand-alone environment. In many situations, a single-width component positioned in a block without an accompanying contrib-blank component works just fine. The layout does not collapse.

1. When is the use of Blank necessary to maintain layout in (a.) while authoring in the framework, (b.) while using the authoring tool?

The use of Blank may be desirable even if the layout does not depend on it for issues of stability, etc. 

2. When is the use of Blank desirable (e.g., to achieve positioning or effects that cannot be achieved with CSS) (a.) in the framework, (b.) in the authoring tool?

Thanks for all insights!
Chuck Lorenz

Picture of Simon Date
Re: When is contrib-blank necessary?
by Simon Date - Friday, 22 January 2016, 2:35 PM

Hi Chuck,

As a developer I have only had to use the Blank Component a few times. 

The most recent time I can think of is when a Article Reveal was used at the end of the page followed by a QuickNav extension at the very bottom. A block that wasn't attached to an Article Reveal article was required to get the QuickNav to show. 

I don't bother attaching a single width blank with any single width components on their own. As you said there is no need to.