me
Adapt Framework version 1.0 released
by Sven Laux - Monday, 3 March 2014, 11:10 AM

It is with great pleasure that we announce the official release of version 1.0 of the Adapt Framework.

Thanks to everyone involved for your hard work on refactoring the code and building a great framework for the future of e-learning delivery.

Read more here...

Picture of Mathew Gancarz
Re: Adapt Framework version 1.0 released
by Mathew Gancarz - Tuesday, 28 January 2014, 5:02 PM

Thank you Sven and everyone and congratulations on getting it to this 1.0 point!

I've given a go at trying to set it up on a local testing server we have here but I'm running into some issues following the instructions on https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Setting-up-your-development-environment

What would be the best channel to give feedback on that page and possibly get some help to work through the issues I'm running into? I'm not sure if it should go into this forum or the issues on the Github repo?

me
by Sven Laux - Tuesday, 28 January 2014, 6:31 PM

Hi Mathew,

thanks for your note and keen to get and learn from your feedback. This community forum is the best place to post these items for now.

We are committed to getting you up and running!

Separately, we're also preparing to run a few webinars for developers to get started. I'll announce the schedule for these ASAP.

All the best and thanks for bearing with us.
Sven

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Tuesday, 28 January 2014, 6:57 PM

Hi Sven,

Congratulations on launching the first official version 1.0 of the Adapt Framework. Happy to say that I managed to install the framework using the 'Setting up your development environment framework' documentation, though I think that creating a video tutorial on how to setup the dev. environment might be worth considering. Initially, I tried cloning using Git GUI instead of Git Bash.

I also had a 'hairy moment' trying to work out how to view the build again after I had terminated the server, but once I had realized I needed to change the directory so that I was in the correct folder I managed to get it running again. 

I also look forward to hearing more about the developer webinars.

me
by Sven Laux - Sunday, 2 February 2014, 10:40 PM

Hi Mark, thanks for your note.

Just catching up with myself after a very busy last week and short period away. Really good to hear you got it working. We'll get some dates posted about the webinars this week and I know Daryl is also planning to record some getting started screencasts.

Please let us know if you thin the documentation can be improved - we're up for it!

All the best,
Sven

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 9:07 AM

Hi Sven,

I'll definitely keep my eye on the documentation. With regards to the webinars do you intend to record these and share the links?

Long term I think it would be very helpful if you built an Adapt Learning Framework knowledge base. I recall from the last webinar I attend, that one of the presenters mentioned that over 40 courses had now been created using the framework and being able to get access to this type of knowledge / user experience would be priceless. 

Cheers,
Mark

me
by Sven Laux - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 9:33 AM

Hi Mark,

regarding the webinar recording, I have to confess that we struggled to get a decent enough recording. I'm very sorry about that. Our plan is to re-run the session and also create a separate recording (take two) using local screen video recording tools to ensure decent enough quality.

Having a knowledge base of courses produced using Adapt sounds like a great idea. At Kineo, we have been delivering client projects for the past year and there are plenty of examples (some shown here). We need to make sure that we have permission form our clients before we can post this information.

We will (and would like to encourage everyone to) post case studies of Adapt work on their own websites. Hope this makes sense!

Sven

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 10:29 AM

Hi Sven,

That all sounds great. From a developers perspective, I would really like to see something similar to the Adobe CSS Advisor:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/communityengine/index.cfm?event=homepage&productId=1

That would include known browser / device rendering issues and workarounds.

Best,
Mark

Picture of Nathan Askew
by Nathan Askew - Tuesday, 28 January 2014, 8:53 PM

Great work.

The guidance on Github worked perfectly for me. The only issue I had initially was installing the Node modules globally, but elevating my privileges solved that issue.

Looking forward to discovering this great framework. 

me
by Sven Laux - Sunday, 2 February 2014, 10:42 PM

Thank you, Nathan! Great to see you're interested and keen to hear what you think. Hopefully see you in Brighton sometime!

Sven

Picture of Sandra Lindberg
by Sandra Lindberg - Friday, 31 January 2014, 3:39 PM

I just want to say: congratulations!

... and that I'm truly impressed and super excited about the 1.0

I've been giving it a try, converting a previous Flash based course into the Adapt learning 1.0, and I was suprised that there was so little I had to do, basically I've just added content and changed colors, and it looks really great!

I'm really looking forward to playing around with it some more, and create themes and maybe even plugins. Just wished I had more time for this!

But I can not emphasize it enough how truly happy and excited I'm about this. I've acctually been smiling like a crazy person the whole week, and not the ":)"-smile but the "corners of my mouth up into my eyes"-smile! You guys are awesome!

Picture of Kev Adsett
by Kev Adsett - Friday, 31 January 2014, 4:18 PM

Thanks Sandra, that means a lot!

We're proud of where we've got to so far and we're only just at the beginning :)

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Friday, 31 January 2014, 4:34 PM

Hey Sandra,

Thanks for the response. It's great to know how easy it is to use and theme. A lot of effort has gone into making theming a nice and pleasant way of working. We're going to be setting up a few developer walk throughs in the following weeks where we'll be covering the following:

- How to develop a theme

- How to develop a menu

- How to develop a component

- How to develop an extension

If you need any more help or guidance on anything please feel free to contact us and we'll be posting up the developer walk throughs soon.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Sandra Lindberg
by Sandra Lindberg - Friday, 31 January 2014, 4:58 PM

Hi Daryl,

I'm looking forward to the walk throughs, since those are exactly the things on my "to explore next"-list :)

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Friday, 31 January 2014, 5:17 PM

Hi Daryl,

That is great news! Look forward to seeing those walk throughs. 

Cheers,
Mark

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Friday, 31 January 2014, 5:16 PM

Hi Sandra,

Yes, I must admit that I'm delighted to see how easy it is to create a course just by modifying the .json and .less files. I had thought that there would have been lots of js programming involved but was pleasantly surprised to find how simple it is to add content and modify the CSS.

I had thought I might have to wait for the authoring tool to be released but now I am confident that I don't need to wait.

Great job team Adapt.

me
by Sven Laux - Sunday, 2 February 2014, 10:52 PM

Hello again, Mark. 

This is a great quote and something we have been aiming for. We wanted to be very clear that the Framework requires technical skill, so we don't paint the wrong picture and put non-technical end users off. That said, we want to make sure there is a low barrier to adoption for everyone, developers and technical people included.

Our next mission is to achieve the equivalent for the authoring tool, while still adding to the framework (esp. plug-ins) as we go.

All the best,
Sven

me
by Sven Laux - Sunday, 2 February 2014, 10:47 PM

Hi Sandra,

thank you so much! I know what you mean about the crazy smile - I got it reading your comment! And I don't seem to be able to wipe it off either.

It's great to think the project is making a difference and people are excited by it. We're committed to making it great - please let us know any improvement ideas, be that code, documentation or whatever you can think of!

All the best and thanks again. As Kev says, it means a lot.

Sven

Picture of Lucy Hodge
by Lucy Hodge - Sunday, 2 February 2014, 8:02 PM

Thank you for all your fantastic work on this so far! I've installed and played around with the framework at work and at home, and it's so easy to get to grips with the basics (non-developers like me rejoice!) - I've made my own test course and changed the theme, and I'm very excited about using the framework in earnest at work (and for fun at home!).

me
by Sven Laux - Sunday, 2 February 2014, 10:55 PM

Hi Lucy,

thank you for the very encouraging note. I'm really pleased you're behind the framework and find it easy to use as a non-developer. Keen to see how you'll use (and influence) the features going forward!

All the best,
Sven

Picture of Nathan Marshall
by Nathan Marshall - Monday, 3 February 2014, 9:02 AM

Fantastic news Sven. I missed this release last week so will be downloading and playing with this at some point during this week. I'll feedback with any issues/problems I encounter.  

me
by Sven Laux - Monday, 3 February 2014, 9:50 AM

Thanks, Nathan. Looking forward to hear what you think. It has come on in leaps and bounds since your were first involved at Kineo. 

All the best,
Sven