Picture of Chris Fry
Problems with Authoring Tool in a Vagrant Installation
by Chris Fry - Monday, 25 January 2016, 8:23 PM

I have followed the instructions to install the adapt authoring tool with Vagrant at https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Install-with-Vagrant on two laptops. One using windows 10 and one using Umbutu 15.8

On both occasions everything seems to have gone OK untill the vagrant up command. The process seems to start and then I get a 'timed out while waiting for the machine to boot' error that then goes on to say the 'config.vm.boot_timeout' value. I have searched for advice on this and can't seem to find any. Can anyone help? I am keen to try out the authoring tool.

Screen shot of error message attached

Ta

Chris

Picture of Paul Steven
Re: Problems with Authoring Tool in a Vagrant Installation
by Paul Steven - Tuesday, 26 January 2016, 10:11 AM

I am not familiar with Vagrant but have managed to install the Adapt authoring tool on my Windows 10 PC and also on my Windows 10 laptop with no problems following the instructions here:

https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Installing-Adapt-Origin

I have also installed it on a server on Digital Ocean (a site I found that allows me to install it on a server for only a few dollars). Here is a link to digital ocean - https://www.digitalocean.com/

Again with the server installation I used the same set of instructions as I linked to above

May be worth trying to install it this way if the Vagrant installation isn't working for you.

Picture of Chris Fry
by Chris Fry - Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 3:52 PM

Thanks Paul

I have started to follow the instructions but am a DIY techie at best.

The server installation is something I am interested in. Is there a set of instruction that you know of that walks you through it?

Chris

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 5:06 PM

Hi Chris

Alot of this tech is completely new to me too but taking it one step at a time seemed to work for me every time.

There is a video that was posted on here about installing on the server, the link of which is as follows:

I have very little knowledge of servers but did manage to install it on a Digital Ocean server. I assume the process would be the same on other servers though guess there is the potential for every server to be set up differently.

Anyway give it a go and just shout if you get stuck at any of the steps and either myself or someone more knowledgeable is sure to come to your rescue.

I would have imagined installing locally first would be easier but could be wrong.

Paul

Picture of Chris Fry
by Chris Fry - Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 9:32 PM

Thanks again Paul

I appreciate the help and advice. As you suggest I am taking it one step at a time and managed to get to the 'node server' step in the Installing Adapt Origin description. I got the 'Server started listening on port 5000' then I put localhost:5000 in the browser (I tried Chrome and Firefox) and it starts to load Adapt Builder. Problem is it then seems to hang (see screen shot). Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks again for the help so far

Chris

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Thursday, 28 January 2016, 8:47 AM

Hi Chris,

Can you try running grunt build:prod followed by node server.js again?

Regards,

Brian

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Thursday, 28 January 2016, 9:02 AM

Hi Chris

Assuming Brian's suggestion does not resolve the issue, can you post a screenshot of any error you get in your command line window. You could also open the developer tools (Press F12) and check for any errors in the console as this may give you a clue as to the problem.

Hopefully though Brian's suggestion will get you up and running.

Cheers

Paul

Picture of Leon deLorenzo
by Leon deLorenzo - Monday, 1 February 2016, 11:31 PM

Hey Paul and all others interested in my issues!  :)

Hope you can help...

I have the same issue as Chris -- vagrant up timed out.  I gave Brian's suggestion a go but I got the following.  Any ideas?

Cheers,

Leon

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Tuesday, 2 February 2016, 8:10 AM

Hi Leon,

Are yo sure MongDB is running? And does it allow connecting? Because that my interpretation of the last lines, Adapt seems to be running, but it cannot find its database.

John