Picture of Chris Gillison
header menu problem
by Chris Gillison - Friday, 5 February 2016, 5:07 PM

Hello everyone.

Just installed the Adapt authoring tool, and it's looking great. One thing I can't seem to get working is the navigation bar in the header (see ringed elements in screenshot).

I've included the 'Resources' extension and added a couple of links (one URL and one PDF). However, nothing happens when I click on the icon top right (either in review mode, or if I download the course).

The back button (top left) isn't working either.

Tested in Chrome and Firefox.

What am I doing wrong?!

Many thanks, Chris

Picture of John Niezen
Re: header menu problem
by John Niezen - Monday, 8 February 2016, 7:34 AM

Hi Chris,

Just for clarification, this is the page that pop-up after the launch right? As we do not have that in our courses.

It should appear after viewing a page so you can go back.

Did you check if you have the latest box-menu?

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 8 February 2016, 10:26 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. I checked the HTML for it and it's a div with the class "navigation-inner clearfix". It appears right from the start (index.html), but the 'back' button only becomes visible if you go somewhere (i.e. you have somewhere to go back to!). I'm guessing the div appears even on the home page as I've anabled the Resources extension.

Good thought though, I'll check for plug-in updates.

Cheers,

Chris

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Monday, 8 February 2016, 9:36 AM

Hi Chris,

This looks like it could be a bug in v2.0.1 of the Adapt framework.  Did you get message in the server console about a later version existing?

Anyway, to rectify, stop your server and run node upgrade.js to get the latest version.  If you force a full rebuild of your course, e.g. re-selecting the theme or menu then clicking Preview, it should work as expected.

Regards,

Brian

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 8 February 2016, 10:28 AM

Ah, okay. Thanks Brian. I didn't notice any console messages. I'll try your fix. Many thanks.

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 8 February 2016, 10:38 AM

Oh...next question - sorry Brian.

I'm not very familiar with all this command line stuff. Presumably I run node upgrade.js from the command line do I? Do I simply cd to my Adapt folder then type 'node upgrade' and hit enter?!

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Monday, 8 February 2016, 11:29 AM

Hi Chris,

Yes, just cd into your adapt_authoring folder and run node upgrade.js.

Brian

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 8 February 2016, 11:57 AM

Hi again,

Thanks again Brian. Command line didn't recognize "node" so I read around it looked to me like I needed to install node.js first (is that right - as I say this is all rather new to me?!). I did that and tried to run 'node update.js' again but got an error (see attached). Am I way off?!

I used Vagrant to set up the online Authoring Tool as per the instructions for 'non-coders', so didn't download the Adapt Framework part. Could that be the problem?

Chris

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Monday, 8 February 2016, 12:56 PM

Hi Chris

If you type in dir in that folder do you see a file called upgrade.js?

I suspect you may have another folder titled "adapt-authoring-master" inside the folder you are currently in.

Try typing the following:

cd c:\Adapt Authoring\adapt_authoring_master\adapt_authoring_master 

Then try typing

node upgrade.js

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 8 February 2016, 1:21 PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this. Don't think that's it though. The folder doesn't appear to contain upgrade.js (see screenshot).

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Monday, 8 February 2016, 1:28 PM

Hi Chris

Ah I didn't realise you were using the Vagrant installation. I am not sure why you are missing those files.

Try either of the following to get the required files. The zip file you can download from the github link below will include all the files including upgrade.js

Get the latest release of the Authoring Tool code by one of the following methods

• Download and decompress/unzip an archive file from the GitHub repository, OR
  • Use git to clone the repository:
    1. cd to the desired folder.
    2. Run git clone https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring.gi
Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Monday, 8 February 2016, 2:09 PM

Here are the files I have

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 8 February 2016, 2:22 PM

Thanks Paul. I really do appreciate this :)

I've got the full set of files now, including upgrade.js, but I'm still getting an error when I try to run it (see attached). I cd to the adapt authoring root folder and then type "node upgrade.js".

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Monday, 8 February 2016, 3:04 PM

Hi Chris,

As your running the Vagrant installation your steps to upgrade will be a little different.

1. Navigate to the adapt_authoring checkout on your local OS.
  2. Run vagrant ssh to connect to the Ubuntu VM.
  3. Run cd /home/vagrant to navigate to the authoring tool codebase on the server.
  4. Run sudo pm2 stop 0.
  5. Run node upgrade.js.
  6. Once the upgrade has completed run sudo pm2 start 0.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brian

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 8 February 2016, 4:40 PM

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for getting back. I'm starting to worry that this is a case of trying to run before I can walk here though!

I ran 'vagrant up' to start the virtual machine, then 'vagrant ssh'. Command Prompt said it couldn't find an ssh executable. It recommended installing Git which I already have (I have a Git Bash icon on my desktop that launches MINGW64) - see attachment. I'm still lost. Any ideas?! I really want to make this work!

Kind regards,

Chris

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Monday, 8 February 2016, 5:07 PM

Chris, if you are in Windows 10 I would suggest trying the alternative non-Vagrant installation as I spent days trying to get the Vagrant installation to work on Windows 10 without success but have no problem with this method:

https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Installing-Adapt-Origin

Just follow the steps religously and you should be fine

Having said that someone more knowledgeable may be able to help you with the Vagrant issue.

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 8 February 2016, 5:35 PM

Thanks Paul. I was beginning to think this might be a better bet! I'll give it a go.

Thanks also to everyone else on here who's offered help. It is very much appreciated.

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 11:36 AM

Hi Chris

Let us know how you get on and  just shout if you get stuck.

Paul

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Monday, 7 March 2016, 9:13 PM

Hi Brian,

When I try to do the upgrade as described, I get the following error:

Does not seem to work.

I also have this menu header problem, cannot use the arrow back on the left, and the resources box does not open.

Picture of Avinash Muddebihal
by Avinash Muddebihal - Thursday, 6 April 2017, 9:15 AM

Hi Brian,

I have followed the above instructions/steps to upgrade. It is showing me error as

fatal: 'origin' does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists.
ERROR: 128

Following is the screenshot for your reference.

Thanks
Avinash