Picture of Nick Webb
Problems generating previews
by Nick Webb - Monday, 8 February 2016, 4:26 PM

Hi - I've installed Adapt Builder onto a server and thought I'd got everything working nicely.

I can log in, created courses and content, but when I try generating a preview the build process runs for a while and then says error preview failed.

In the console window I get a whole pile of error messages (see attached).

Anyone got any ideas what's going wrong?

Thanks,

Nick

Picture of John Niezen
Re: Problems generating previews
by John Niezen - Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 7:24 AM

Hi Nick,

Can you please provide details how you installed the Builder? Vagrant or Server-install procedure? What Windows version are you using?

When the Framework update was released yesterday, others also reported similar issues. See https://gitter.im/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring

Keep an eye on the messages there, and update when they release a patch.

John

Picture of Nick Webb
by Nick Webb - Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 10:04 AM

Thanks John.

It's been installed using a server-install procedure. It's on Windows 2012 R2.

I'll keep an eye open for a patch then.

Cheers,

Nick

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 10:55 AM

Hi Nick,

Can you try testing this using the develop branch of the authoring repo? Open a git bash in the folder for the adapt_authoring source files, then get the develop code using:

git fetch origin

git checkout origin/develop

Delete the node_modules folder, and run the following to re-install the node modules:

npm cache clean && npm install

Then rebuild/run the tool using:

grunt build && node server

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 11:13 AM

To add to this, I've jus tested the latest adapt_authoring code from the master branch, and v2.0.7 of the adapt_framework, and everything's working as expected for me.

Picture of Nick Webb
by Nick Webb - Wednesday, 10 February 2016, 8:38 AM

Hi Tom - I think I've done this. I've followed the commands above, though I might have done the checkout into the wrong folder - not quite sure what you meant by the "source files folder".

Anyway,the result is I can see some of the new authoring tool features (e.g. moving components left and right), but the preview still isn't working.

I've made a few changes in the course content I was previewing, and then run preview. No error message, just a blank window pops up. 

There are no errors shown on the node console, but the web browser developer tools is showing a 404 error for adapt.min.js

Thanks,

Nick

Picture of Sandra Neubauer
by Sandra Neubauer - Wednesday, 17 February 2016, 11:10 AM

I had preview problems without error messages.

Thanks to Helen Maffin I discovered that it was simply my browser blocking the popup windows.

Maybe this helps someone else, too. :-)

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Wednesday, 17 February 2016, 11:38 AM

Hi Sandra,

Sadly Nick is getting a *lot* of error messages, which is why I asked what you had in your window, so not as simple a fix sadly. 

But you're right sometimes we can overlook the simplest causes - and thank you for posting :)

Helen

Picture of Nick Webb
by Nick Webb - Friday, 26 February 2016, 12:36 PM

OK, after having to put this down for a couple of weeks I've come back to this today and done a clean install with the new version of the AT.

I haven't tried previewing a course yet but I thought I'd query another problem I keep having, which maybe related.

The last four or five times I've installed the AT, when I try to load it in my browser the AT starts to load but doesn't get as far as the login screen. It just sits with the loading spinner showing. A check in the network log shows that origin.js has failed to load.

With previous installs I've just gone and added origin.js to the appropriate place and then I've been able to login and author. But I wonder if this is in someway related to my preview problems.

I'm not sure why origin.js is missing. I've installed the AT by cloning from git and by downloading the zip file from git. Same problem either way.

Before I manually add origin.js again, does anyone have any ideas why this is missing?

Thanks,

Nick

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Friday, 26 February 2016, 4:40 PM

Hi Nick,

Are you sure you've run the grunt build:prod step before running node server.js?

Brian

Picture of Nick Webb
by Nick Webb - Monday, 29 February 2016, 9:16 AM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the input. I hadn't run that grunt build command - I don't think that appears in the installation instructions anywhere.

Anyway, I've run it just now on our server and got the following error message:

Running "requirejs:compile" (requirejs) task
{ [Error: Error: Module loading did not complete for: core/app/app, sweetalert,
coreJS/notify/notify, coreJS/notify/plugins/alert/index
at Function.build.checkForErrors (C:\adapt\adapt_authoring\node_modules\requ
irejs\bin\r.js:31556:19)
]
originalError: [Error: Module loading did not complete for: core/app/app, swee
talert, coreJS/notify/notify, coreJS/notify/plugins/alert/index] }

Thanks,

Nick