Picture of Helen Bailey
What components are you crying out for in the Authoring Tool?
by Helen Bailey - Wednesday, 10 February 2016, 4:11 PM

Hello to all Adapt Authoring Tool users,

For a bit of "casual research" I am very interested to know what sorts of components you would love to have the choice of to pop into your Adapt projects.

We have seen a growing number of available components recently which is great - but are you desperate for drag-and-drop? batty for bookmarks? rabid for rollovers?

Feel free to share your wishlist!

Helen

Picture of Derek Chirnside
Re: What components are you crying out for in the Authoring Tool?
by Derek Chirnside - Wednesday, 24 February 2016, 5:23 PM

Is there a list of definitive list of components somewhere?

Are there any drag and drop question?

I'd like drag and drop

• cloze
  • sequencing (Arrange in order)
  • labelling

-Derek
New here in this forum and wondering why there is not a single answer to this question.  Maybe people are busy or completely happy with the list.

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Thursday, 25 February 2016, 6:18 PM

You've not seen drag and drop yet mostly because of touch devices. Dragging vertically and touch scrolling together is a nightmare. Drag left and right is OK though. Food for a designer perhaps? Desktop only with a mobile fallback? Who knows?

Ollie.

by Derek Chirnside - Wednesday, 23 March 2016, 6:56 AM

I know you are quite right Oliver, but this yesterday on Drag and Drop questions:

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=417

-Derek

Picture of Ash Flinn
by Ash Flinn - Wednesday, 30 March 2016, 5:17 PM

I'm trying to get a PHP AJAX poll to work right now, but a poll component would be very useful. We use them a lot to check in with our students.

Picture of Ted Curran
by Ted Curran - Friday, 22 July 2016, 5:47 PM

Hi Helen,

I would love to see an effort to adapt some of the content types available in the h5p.org project,  such as timelines and quiz cards.

by Derek Chirnside - Wednesday, 10 August 2016, 9:12 PM

I have enough components to work with at the moment.

I'm hanging out for

1. Drag and drop quick upload of assets.
  2. Import of courses
  3. Context based help, links to a wiki maybe.

-Derek

Picture of nigel delgaudio
by nigel delgaudio - Thursday, 11 August 2016, 8:10 AM

My company have been using Adapt for a while now and we have a workable system in place. Myself and a colleague handle the framework side of the platform (menu/component creation and design, themes etc). Our learning designers then use the AT to input the course content before we go in and add the 'polish'.

From talking with our learning designers who would be considered 'non-technical users' we are constantly getting the same feedback:

• need for improved asset management
    the current method is a pain to work with and creates allot of clutter. (not being able to edit an image and re-upload, no real delete, no drag n drop folders). We currently skip the asset manager altogether and use an external FTP but this is far from ideal for various reasons. 

• import a course
    For my company this is massive. You wouldn't believe the things we have to do to get a working process in place for archiving, backing up and versioning projects especially when you include theming/menu design in the framework.

From my point of view, I think resolving the above two issues will go a long way to opening up the platform to your average 'powerpoint level' user. As is it's no feasible to use the platform without a decent amount of technical knowledge.

by Derek Chirnside - Friday, 12 August 2016, 4:36 AM

By the way Helen, who are you, and what was the result of your casual research?  Did you get what you wanted?

Just curious

-Derek

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 15 August 2016, 9:57 AM

Hey Derek,

Thank you for your suggestions. They're fab.

Myself and a colleague are Adapt users and love the tool, and I'm an Adapt ambassador/contributor (usually testing and finding issues in the Authoring tool and various extensions!) - we were looking at creating an extension or a theme to contribute back to the Adapt community so we wanted to hear from other users as to what it is they need/want/feel is missing so we had a place to start. Since then we have had further discussions and hopefully we will create something that we can upload and share. But it won't be a quick thing!

Hope that helps

Helen