Picture of Helen Bailey
What components are you crying out for in the Authoring Tool?
by Helen Bailey - Wednesday, 10 February 2016, 4:11 PM

Hello to all Adapt Authoring Tool users,

For a bit of "casual research" I am very interested to know what sorts of components you would love to have the choice of to pop into your Adapt projects.

We have seen a growing number of available components recently which is great - but are you desperate for drag-and-drop? batty for bookmarks? rabid for rollovers?

Feel free to share your wishlist!

Helen

Picture of John Niezen
Re: What components are you crying out for in the Authoring Tool?
by John Niezen - Thursday, 11 February 2016, 7:57 AM

Thanks for bringing this up Helen.

I am struggling with the Narrative component. The pictures fly in when you click for the next item. What I would like is an option to stack them on each other, thus creating a kind of animation.

Another is a question type where you have to link the answers to a question with some kind of line.

John

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 11 February 2016, 5:10 PM

Thank you John, those are valuable suggestions. 

For the second one, do you mean like this?

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Friday, 12 February 2016, 7:37 AM

Hi Helen,

Yes exactly that. I worked with it in Adobe Captivate, and found it a very valuable addition to the standard questions.

And what I also like in Moodle is a drag and drop one. It is the Hotgraphic in a question style. https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=29

John

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Sunday, 14 February 2016, 9:07 PM

Hi Helen

I think I'd like to see the original example theme brought back...to one where you have an image as a background and the components sliding over the top of it.  I thought that was quite cool.

A slight modification to the accordion comp, selecting where to place the image, rather than just the default under the text...maybe to the left or right as well.

Cheers

Simon

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 15 February 2016, 2:26 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, Simon!

Picture of Chris Gillison
by Chris Gillison - Monday, 15 February 2016, 12:52 PM

Hi Helen,

I'm a complete newbie to Adapt, so haven't had much time to look at what's available or what isn't yet, so apologies if these suggestions already exist!

Yes, drag & drop would great!

Also, a Glossary of Terms component would be great, particularly if it was part of the 'Resources' module. I'm imagining something that could be viewed 'as-is' (so an alphabetical list of terms), and functionality whereby you could highlight & activate words in the body text that were included in the Glossary, and when you clicked them in the body text the Resources sidebar would open to show a definition.

Finally, is there a 'Search...' component? That would be useful.

As I say, I'm very new to this so it may be that these suggestions are fundamentally impossible for some reason or another!

Many thanks,

Chris

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 15 February 2016, 2:30 PM

Hey Chris.

Glossary is an standard option in the Adapt Authoring Tool - you just need to activate it in Plugin Management and then add it into your courses. It works very well, but not linked up to the text in the page yet - I coded in a tooltip for words in the text to help simulate that effect but it's not connected to the Glossary part.

Search does exist thanks to the amazing bods at Kineo - although not a currently supported plugin as part of the standard issue AT - I have added it to my projects and gotten it to work successfully, let me know if you need any help installing it. https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-search

Adapt is great - welcome to the world!

Helen

https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-search

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 15 February 2016, 5:30 PM

Hi Helen,

Great stuff! Wow - I've got a lot to look at!

Cheers,

Chris

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Monday, 15 February 2016, 3:10 PM

Hi Chris,

The new Plugin Browser page is a good place to start if you're looking for what's available.

Note that the majority of these will not be authoring tool compatible - we're looking at extending this page to give more info with particular emphasis on some kind of 'badge' for those which work in the AT.

by Chris Gillison - Monday, 15 February 2016, 5:31 PM

Thanks Tom.