Picture of didier defranoux
Adapt authoring tool
by didier defranoux - Wednesday, 5 February 2014, 11:52 AM

Hi,

I have two questions.

the first one is:Do you know when the first version of Adapt authoring tool is plan to be released?

and the second one is:

Will we be able to translate and localise courses the way captivate does it?

Thanks

Didier

Picture of Mark Fletcher
Re: Adapt authoring tool
by Mark Fletcher - Wednesday, 5 February 2014, 1:49 PM

I would definitely support a feature that would output to XLIFF or MS Word format for localization.

- Mark

me
by Sven Laux - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 12:03 AM

Hi Didier and Mark

thank you for raising this. 

Our plan to to release a version 0.1 (very basic) before the end of Q2 2014, i.e. before the end of June. There is a fair amount of information about the scope and intended target audience at: https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=124

The Adapt Framework has been built to enable a course to accommodate multiple language versions. However, this functionality will not be built out fully in the first few releases.

In our experience of working with translation agencies, they tend to be very happy to be given the JSON files (or even the entire course) and will make changes in the files directly. For now this means that a copy of the course would be created.

We're considering specific translation 'export' functionality (e.g. to XLIFF) for version 1.0 as a nice to have requirement.

Keen to hear feedback from the community on this point.

Hope this helps!
Sven

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 9:00 AM

Hi Sven,

Great to hear that XLIFF is something you will consider. With regard to the releasing  a basic version of the authoring tool before the end of June that is very cool. Needless to say if you are looking for alpha testers then I would be happy to participate.

Kind regards,

Mark

me
by Sven Laux - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 9:10 AM

Hi Mark,

superb - we will certainly take you up on that nearer the time!

Sven

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 9:53 AM

Hi Sven,

That is great, thanks! In the meantime I'll review the authoring requirement docs and provide you with feedback in that thread.

- Mark

Stefan Reicher, LearnChamp
by Stefan Reicher - Wednesday, 12 February 2014, 12:58 PM

Hi Sven,

Coming from the German speaking market and working with international customers we are doing a fair amount of translation and localization work. Consequently, for us translation functionalities (export but also import) would be more than nice-to-have.

Best regards,

Stefan

Picture of Eric Rohrer
by Eric Rohrer - Friday, 7 February 2014, 8:20 PM

I'm not sure how this might tie in to the authoring tool, but I'm rather fascinated by this startup framework by Designmodo (http://designmodo.com/startup/). Watch the video :)

What I like about this is the templated approach and how one can build a site by sequencing these templates/objects.

From a non-technical perspective, I like the fact that I can string a series of pre-built objects (with the ability to modify) to create an experience.

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 10 February 2014, 4:01 PM

Hey Eric,

Designmodo is really interesting. Their process is really similar to Adapt. We spent a lot of time separating out components, whereas they talk about blocks. Our component approach looks like it provides a more fine grain and flexible layout tool. (being able to mix and match components side-by-side). 

Adapt works in the same way by producing templates that can be re-used/rendered based upon the data structure. But not only that - they're dynamic on the client side so a plugin can easily manipulate the course structure on the fly. This paves the way for some clever plugins.

Thanks,

Daryl