Picture of Gareth Walker
Grunt build problems with framework
by Gareth Walker - Monday, 29 February 2016, 4:22 PM

Hi - I've used the framework on a mac in the past without issues, but today I seem to be running into a series of problems. Before I start digging into my NPM/grunt/etc. set-up, I wanted to check if anyone else had encountered something  similar.

After installing the latest version of the framework (using either adapt-cli, downloading a zip or cloning the repository) I run grunt build and get the following:

At this point, with a fresh install, I don't have a 'build' folder - so I did try dropping in a build from somewhere. This got me a bit further but then I got a less:compile error ...

... and this aborted the build.

I've tried a few different versions of node in NVM, re-installed grunt-cli and adapt-cli a couple of times, etc., but still go the same results.

Picture of Gareth Walker
Re: Grunt build problems with framework
by Gareth Walker - Monday, 29 February 2016, 5:13 PM

Just to add: I've started from scratch on a different Mac, installing node, grunt and adapt. The end result is the same and I get the same grunt error.

Picture of Gareth Walker
by Gareth Walker - Monday, 29 February 2016, 5:29 PM

Further note. I've installed the authoring tool via Vagrant. When I export a project from there and do NPM install, then grunt build, this works. But this is perhaps an older version of the framework?

(There are also some issues with builds from the authoring tool, but I've flagged these separately here: https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1206)

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 29 February 2016, 6:07 PM

I've just tried this myself on  a Mac running 10.11.13 - and seem to be getting a similar issue. In my case it is failing at the point it should be downloading all the standard plugins.

When $ adapt create course was running, did you see any errors like the attached? Also if you look in the src folder do you, like me, have no components or extensions subfolders?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 29 February 2016, 7:54 PM

hmmm maybe that was a red herring... even once I'd sorted that out I still had the same error. Sorry. Will keep trying to see if I can find an answer!

Picture of Gareth Walker
by Gareth Walker - Monday, 29 February 2016, 9:17 PM

I can check tomorrow but I certainly didn't notice any errors of that kind.

I gather there has been quite a big refactoring of the grunt setup in the latest release so I did wonder if that was a factor. I did try working back through previous releases today. I didnt get the same initial grunt error - but weirdly I kept getting that less compilation error. (Weird because I've not had that problem on the same system with 2.0.x releases previously.)

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 1 March 2016, 9:28 AM

Yes there were some big updates but we did all test the CLI before release so it's odd that an issue like this would slip through.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 1 March 2016, 9:51 AM

Issue logged here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/issues/984

Picture of Gareth Walker
by Gareth Walker - Tuesday, 1 March 2016, 12:38 PM

Thanks! Did you also encounter the less compilation issue? Not sure if it was directly related as a I ran into the same thing on previous versions of the Framework...

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 1 March 2016, 1:49 PM

No, it all worked fine for me once I applied the fix.

The fixed file is here by the way, just overwrite the same file in your local version.

Picture of Gareth Walker
by Gareth Walker - Friday, 4 March 2016, 10:36 AM

Just a belated note to say thanks! This update resolved the issue I had - and I've not seen those Less compilation problems either.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 4 March 2016, 12:02 PM

No problem at all - thanks for letting us know