Picture of Mark Fletcher
Adapt authoring tool - access to underlying code
by Mark Fletcher - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 10:06 AM

Hi Sven,

One general question I do have about the authoring tool is whether developers will be able to get access to the underlying code? One of the reasons why Dreamweaver became so popular was because it enabled its user base to peak 'under the hood'.

In fact, many now seasoned web designers and developers, started off by inspecting the mark-up, CSS and Javascript code generated in tools such as Dreamweaver and playing around to improve their web dev. skills. 

I am not suggesting that this would need to be a 1.0 feature but something you might want to consider for a future version.

- Mark

me
Re: Adapt authoring tool - access to underlying code
by Sven Laux - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 10:20 AM

Hi Mark,

just to say I have split this question into a separate topic.

To help me understand correctly, do you mean the following: Will authoring tool users be able to see (and potentially) modify the Framework code (HMTL/JS/CSS) in the authoring environment?

Thanks,
Sven

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 11:03 AM

Hi Sven,

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. 

Best,

Mark

me
by Sven Laux - Friday, 7 February 2014, 5:03 PM

Thanks, Mark.

Dennis and Daryl, do you have a view on the technical side?

My thoughts are:

• important to separate out these two, very different cases:
    • the ability to view code / markup
    • the ability to modify
  • it's technically doable (e.g. via keeping separate codebases for each project)

My gut reaction is that DreamWeaver (which I was very fond of for a long time) is primarily aimed at developers and hence this feature fitted in very naturally.

However, I'm not sure if trying to achieve this might ultimately create conflict with our ambition to deliver a very easy to use authoring tool aimed at an ultimately non-technical end user audience. It may well be possible to achieve both - I'd say this type of feature would be a longer term addition.

Views welcome!
Sven