Picture of jim nielsen
Just wanted to make one lesson - have I gone down the wrong rabbit hole?
by jim nielsen - Thursday, 3 March 2016, 7:29 PM

I think I am whining a bit because I worked so hard to get authoring and a virtual machine installed without really knowing what I was getting myself into.

I liked that the lessons are multi-platform - but I whish I could have used individual components to create a fairly simply multi-part lesson that I could post without having people to login etc.

Am I using the wrong tool?  Do I have the wrong idea?  Is it possible to use those nice lesson and quiz components in a more open way?

Are there others like me and where are they?

I should have quit at the virtual machine.  Working in Dreamweaver is as far as I have ever gotten.

Halp! I'm in toronto canada

Picture of Sam Tsiu
Re: Just wanted to make one lesson - have I gone down the wrong rabbit hole?
by Sam Tsiu - Friday, 4 March 2016, 2:27 AM

Hi Jim,

I'm not quite sure about what you meant by "having people to login etc". 

Once you finished build your course/lesson in the authoring tool or the framework, you just export it/build it. Then you can upload the course to a web server, no login required for people to view the course. 

Cheers

Sam

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Friday, 4 March 2016, 9:02 AM

Hi Jim,

As Sam says, the authoring tool is just for content creation; once your course is done, you download a zip and upload it to a web-server for your learners to use. This can have as much (or as little) security as you wish.

Picture of jim nielsen
by jim nielsen - Sunday, 6 March 2016, 4:10 PM

Thank you - telling me that I create lessons and then download them and upload them where I want gives me hope.

But now however, I am watching a video about creating your first course and the example they use doesn't match what I see.  Hero image?  In fact - there is something weird about my install (it seems) I have uploaded an asset (one image) but I can't see how to implement that image and when I look to add something like a multiple choice, I see nothing that looks like a multiple choice.

Where is the easy tutorial for beginners that seem to have issues and questions right from the get-go?