Picture of Ben Simons
Course Not Started
by Ben Simons - Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 8:46 AM

Hi guys, 

I have picked up a course that one of our old developers made and I seem to be having trouble with it. 

I updated the course into the most recent version of adapt and now when you start or complete the course, it says that the course hasn't been started on the LMS. Now I imagine this is somehow down to Spoor settings and that is where our first problem is, there is a new spoor setting.... So on all my other courses that I have made with a knowledge check this is the settings I use. 

"_spoor": {
"_isEnabled": true,
"_tracking": {
"_requireCourseCompleted": false,
"_requireAssessmentPassed": true,
"_shouldSubmitScore": true,
"_shouldStoreResponses": false

Now on this new course this is what shows.

"_spoor": {
"_isEnabled": true,
"_tracking": {
"_requireCourseCompleted": false,
"_requireAssessmentPassed": true,
"_shouldSubmitScore": true,
"_shouldStoreResponses": false,
"_shouldRecordInteractions": true
},

What is "_shouldRecordInteractions": true? and should it be true or false? Also will this be the reason why my course is not sending any info to the LMS? 

Kind Regard

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Course Not Started
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 10:03 AM

Hi Ben

detailed information on what all of those settings do can be found in the README that comes with the spoor extension - but the tl;dr is that _shouldRecordInteractions is unrelated to the problem you're having.

It sounds to me like the spoor extension is simply not getting enabled and therefore is never activating. Easiest way to tell is just to open the console when the course is launched from the LMS - if you see messages like in the attached, SCORM is working. If you don't, it ain't!

Picture of Ben Simons
by Ben Simons - Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 12:11 PM

Hi Matt, 

This is what my console log shows, as you can see its different to yours why is this? I just want it to mark the assessment nothing else. 

What could we do to remedy this? I've never had this before where it just doesn't recognise you going into the course...

Regards

Picture of Ben Simons
by Ben Simons - Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 12:57 PM

This is before I wrap up the course and put it on the LMS it looks all fine, as soon as I launch it from the LMS I get the above console log.... Whyyyyyy :(

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 3:13 PM

Well mine's going to be slightly different since mine was re-launching a course that had some stored tracking data.

If I reset the tracking on the server I basically get the same as you (aside from the 404 error on vanilla.woff) - see below

Looking at your console log, it does appear to be setting the course to started... you can see on line 4 that the status is initially 'not started' and then on line 10 it has changed to 'incomplete' - which is all as expected. If you are indeed running a recent version of the spoor extension then it should automatically save to the LMS at that point as well (see)

BTW the second log you show must be using the 'cookie-based tracking' that Adapt has when you run from scorm_test_harness.html, which is why it's looking very different - it's pulling in stored data. By the way, you have a LOT of unused tracking ids going on there (that's what all the dashes are) so you might want to consider running $ grunt tracking-reset to clear them all out

Picture of Ben Simons
by Ben Simons - Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 8:42 AM

Hi Matt, 

Still nothing, as you pointed out the console log states that is is started, but it is not talking to the LMS. 

I just went through it and the results is registering but it is not changing the course to complete or started or anything really.

I have attached the console log so you can have a look.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 9:59 AM

Hi Ben

Admittedly from the above log it doesn't appear to be setting the course to passed or completed when you've passed the assessment (although the log seems incomplete, it looks like its about to save the score but that's cut off) but that could be down to other factors such as the assessment configuration not being right. - but it is talking to the LMS... every single thing I can see in those logs indicates that the course has found the SCORM API, initialised it, is reading data from and writing data out to it, all without a single error.

My best advice therefore would be to continue investigations on the LMS side. You could also switch the SCORM debug window on for the course - see _showDebugWindow in the README - this will give you a lot more detail, for some reason the underlying 'pipwerks' SCORM code we use only logs 'get' calls...

You could also try uploading your course to another LMS such as SCORM Cloud or Moodle so as to verify whether it not it works there. If it does, then that very strongly points to a problem on your LMS and not with the course.

Picture of Ben Simons
by Ben Simons - Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 10:34 AM

Hi Matt, 

So I ran the debug window, and it shows the course completes and that the assessment also completes, but it still says Not Started on the LMS. 

I'm getting in contact with them now and will keep the post updated!

Regards