Picture of R Rothrock
Just found out about Adapt
by R Rothrock - Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 10:02 PM

I love the examples of different kinds of assessments and presentations that are created with adapt. I'm wondering what the authoring tool is like.

I can probably puzzle out the installation, but I would like to know more about the authoring tool before I put in that much effort. Is there some way to see the authoring tool in action?

Picture of Tom Taylor
Re: Just found out about Adapt
by Tom Taylor - Thursday, 17 March 2016, 11:00 AM

We're looking at setting up an open sandpit installation for the community as soon as the next release of the authoring tool goes out (0.1.6), which should hopefully be this week. If you can wait a week or so after that, you can have a go with that :)

Picture of R Rothrock
by R Rothrock - Thursday, 17 March 2016, 2:49 PM

Thanks that would be awesome. The examples of content are quite impressive. Are there even any screenshots or short videos of how to use the tool?

PS: Is there the option to just get notifications for the threads I've joined or is it an all on/all off kind of choice?

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Thursday, 17 March 2016, 3:29 PM

There's a pretty 'promo' video here (which doesn't really tell you a whole lot):

and a very old YouTube video you can have a look at here:

Picture of R Rothrock
by R Rothrock - Thursday, 17 March 2016, 4:34 PM

Thanks I'll watch those. I did find some training videos on youtube and the authoring tool looks pretty neat. I think I'll try and install Adapt on my personal computer this weekend and see.

Anything about how teams of IDs and designers can work together in the authoring environment?

Picture of Derek Chirnside
by Derek Chirnside - Thursday, 17 March 2016, 7:39 PM

This is an interesting question R.

I have just received an invite to a week trial with Adapt builder, the enterprise version.  See here: https://www.learningpool.com/adapt-builder-learning-pool

As part of this I got an email from Damian saying "I have created an initial e-learning programme to support you in getting up to speed with the Adapt Builder" which included a Moodle site with a whole bunch of Adapt entities covering off things from the very beginning: design roles, design, workflow, storyboards, options to do various things (etc etc) and then into using Builder (as I see it, three stages: first copy course,then change, then create from scratch)  25 minutes it took.

That's as far as I got before BAU hit me yesterday.

You say: Anything about how teams of IDs and designers can work together in the authoring environment?

If this is your question, then sign up and have a look.  It will save you some time as from my perspective it helps understand what Adapt is also not designed to do as well as what it does do.  I won't post the link to the Moodle orientation course, I'm not sure if access to this course is public or part of the orientation process only, Someone else can answer this, 

Good luck R this weekend!!

-Derek

me
by Sven Laux - Thursday, 17 March 2016, 3:52 PM

Hi,

As for forum subscription and notifications, it's an all on / all off per forum scenario. You can switch this on / off on the top of each forum "home page".

Hope this helps!

Sven

Picture of R Rothrock
by R Rothrock - Thursday, 17 March 2016, 4:32 PM

Thanks. I was afraid of that. A little overwhelming to get so many things in my in box on threads I'm not connected with. Bummer.

Picture of Mathew Gancarz
by Mathew Gancarz - Thursday, 17 March 2016, 7:24 PM

You can stem the tide a bit if you opt for daily digest option. I have mine set to "Subject (daily email with subjects only)" but the way the community is configured correctly, you can only find the "Edit Profile" button on another user's profile page. So if you go here for example: https://community.adaptlearning.org/user/view.php?id=182&course=2 you should be able to go to "My profile settings" and click "Edit Profile"

Sven, I'd suggest adding the Administration block on the default user profile page: https://community.adaptlearning.org/user/profile.php as it's confusing to have to click on another user's profile to get your own change password/edit profile options.

Picture of Derek Chirnside
by Derek Chirnside - Thursday, 17 March 2016, 8:00 PM

My solution:

• Use gmail.
  • Filter everything from the Adapt forum into an Adapt label, and bypass in tray.
  • Set up another label "Follow-Adapt"
  • Label your own threads with the "Follow-Adapt" label (which makes new responses stand out on the page, you can skim the other stuff)

One benefit.  I have 100,000 responses from one forum in my labeled view.  Search is quicker than the original by far than if I want to find something.

Just in case this is not clear, here is a picture, the purple shows the thread I am 'following', and you can see all the other threads I have read and those I have ignored:

Even though other forums I am on have gone to single thread subscriptions, I still use this, as it is has proven quicker than scanning any online RSS, list of new posts, browsing forums (etc) options.  I don't have to go to a lot of sites - just my gmail links.

I don't like daily digest, I still have to do too much to engage.  I still have to read too much.  Then I have to click some more.  :-)

There you go: your totally unsolicited piece of advice for the day.

-Derek