Picture of Joannes Anthonius Rommers
After node upgrade - main.html doesn't work but index.html does
by Joannes Anthonius Rommers - Tuesday, 29 March 2016, 3:11 PM

Hi all,

It has been a while.

Just now I performed a 'node upgrade' which went without problems but now when I run a preview of our courses the window remains blank (not even the loader is visible). When I change the main.html from the link in the browser (FF) to index.html all is well.

We used to have this problem because of the 'Spoor' component and then we upgraded this from 2.0.6 to 2.0.7 and it was solved. Now the plugin is 2.0.9 which should be the most recent one. What can I do to solve this issue?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: After node upgrade - main.html doesn't work but index.html does
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 29 March 2016, 7:27 PM

Hi Johannes

A few questions:

• are you using the authoring tool or the framework?
  • what version of node are you now running?
  • do you see any errors in the console when you run from main.html?

The odd thing is that the index.html and main.html files that spoor adds to your course are identical. The only reason main.html exists is that the authoring tool was hard-coded to launch main.html. I'm not sure if that's still the case or not but regardless it needed to be there for backwards compatibility.

by Joannes Anthonius Rommers - Wednesday, 30 March 2016, 9:07 AM

Hi Matt,

To answer your questions:

• We are using the authoring tool:
    • Adapt Builder v0.1.5
    • Adapt Framework v2.0.8
  • node version 4.2.6 and npm version 2.14.12
  • Concerning the errors:
    • When starting 'node server' we receive the comment: "js-bson: Failed to load C++ bson extension, using pure JS version. (But we had this also during the previous builder version and this didn't harm the preview output)
    • When running the preview the command line communicates the following errors but tells us the build succeeded without errors:
      • Error: Response of request to http://adapt-bower-repository.herokuapp.com/packages/search/adapt-contrib-text in not a valid id json
      • This same error line is printed for all components: ...search/adapt-contrib-textInput in not a valid id json, ...search/adapt-contrib-bookmarking in not a valid id json, etc. etc.

Hope this gives a bit of direction to what is happening at our side. And thank you for taking time answering my question.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 31 March 2016, 10:58 AM

OK thanks. Unfortunately I don't know much about the authoring tool side of things and this sounds very much like it's best answered by someone who does!

Could be worth posting a link to the this in the authoring tool chat to see if anyone can help?

by Joannes Anthonius Rommers - Wednesday, 6 April 2016, 8:57 AM

Does anybody have a suggestion? I also dropped my question in Gitter as Matt suggestion but no success so far.