Picture of Philip Arnreich
Downward compatibility of adapt v3.x Scorm-/xApi-wise
by Philip Arnreich - Thursday, 31 March 2016, 6:03 AM

Good morning everybody,

a colleague of mine mentioned that the official devs of adapt are planning to implement xAPI when they come to adapt framework v3.x and would then stop supporting the development of v2.x which works with SCORM (and which we are using currently). I have searched the forum for info on this, but couldn't find any. And in contrast to the info of my colleague, the roadmap I found (https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1112) said that xAPI would come for version 2.x already.

Are you perhaps able to give me some infos and/or dates to the following questions to reduce my confusion?
- when is version 3 of adapt is planned for?
- will the official development for v2 be stopped, then?
- will version 3 it be downward compatible to SCORM / will we be able to use it with our SCORM-based LMS or will we need to implement xAPI, then?

Thank you very much in advance =)
Philip

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Downward compatibility of adapt v3.x Scorm-/xApi-wise
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 31 March 2016, 10:46 AM

Hi Philip

We have no plans to drop support for SCORM 1.2 in any version of Adapt.

We are looking at xAPI at the moment with a view to making it available for v2.x

If you're interested in getting involved there's a Gitter chat group at https://gitter.im/adaptlearning/xAPI

It is worth noting that xAPI is not a 'replacement' for SCORM. In theory there is no reason you couldn't have a SCORM-conformant course (on a SCORM 1.2 LMS) that also tracks data to an LRS via xAPI.

Picture of Philip Arnreich
Re: Downward compatibility of adapt v3.x Scorm-/xApi-wise
by Philip Arnreich - Thursday, 31 March 2016, 2:30 PM

Hi Matt,

thanks a lot for your fast response! I am reliefed to hear that. As I am more a end-user than a developer myself, I will forward your invitation to my colleagues.

Have a nice day