Picture of Peter Parker
Unable to install adapt-contrib-trickle as it is not supported in the current version of of the Adapt framework
by Peter Parker - Tuesday, 5 April 2016, 11:21 PM

Installation issue.

Can anybody help?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Unable to install adapt-contrib-trickle as it is not supported in the current version of of the Adapt framework
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 6 April 2016, 8:47 AM

not without a bit more information...

Picture of Peter Parker
Re: Unable to install adapt-contrib-trickle as it is not supported in the current version of of the Adapt framework
by Peter Parker - Friday, 8 April 2016, 11:47 AM

I kinda fixed it. At first i tried everything kinda wasted a whole day nothing worked. The problem was the error stated in the title.

When you follow the installation guide the version cloned from git is adapt 2.0.2(which according to the installer isn't compatible with adapt-contrib-trickle). The way i solved it, is by issuing the command node upgrade to upgrade from 2.0.2 to 2.0.8 after that everything worked like a charm.

P.S I am not a technical person so this might have been obvious thing to do or not.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 8 April 2016, 1:12 PM

Sorry you've had problems - but glad you've managed to resolve them.

At this stage of development, the authoring tool install is a fairly technical thing to do, which is why we do recommend you have someone technical to help out if at all possible. As development progresses, it should get easier - but as it is a server-based product, installation is always going to be more complex than installation of a desktop application.

Something to note for the future - if you're having problems you'll make it much easier for people to help you if you state/include:

• whether you're using the Authoring Tool or the framework
  • what version(s) you're using
  • what you've done up to the point the problems occur
  • any screenshots that might prove helpful
  • links to any documentation/guidelines you refer to (so anyone reviewing can be sure they are looking at the same thing as you)
Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Wednesday, 6 April 2016, 2:32 PM

I recently installed the authoring tool on Windows 8.1. I used the manual installation instructions; I did not install with Vagrant.

Like yours, my installation failed because Trickle "is not supported".  Apparently the authoring tool is loading a version of the framework that is lower than what is required by the latest version of Trickle. However, the authoring tool will advise you to upgrade. Once you upgrade, the framework and Trickle are compatible. 

Basically what I did was to wait until the framework was installed during installation, then deleted the reference to Trickle in adapt.json, then continued with the installation. Upon completion, I upgraded per the authoring tool's notice which upgraded the framework's version and installed the latest version of Trickle.

What I did (from what I can remember):
- Followed the install instructions. Whenever a step was completed or when there was a pause in the script asking for my input, I checked my Windows folders to see if the Adapt framework (adapt_framework) was downloaded. (I think this was at the point that the script was asking me for configuration input, but do the next step as early as you are allowed.)
- Located adapt.json within the adapt_framework folder. Deleted the following line:
"adapt-contrib-trickle": "*",
then saved the file.
- Continued with installation instructions through to successful completion.
- When starting up the authoring tool, I received a console notice advising to run upgrade.js and did so.
- When the upgrade completed, Trickle was installed with no compatibility issue. 

(Afterwards I did not reinsert the code into adapt.json, but maybe we should.)

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 6 April 2016, 2:36 PM

there's an issue logged about this here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/issues/1110

Picture of David Hodge
by David Hodge - Wednesday, 6 April 2016, 4:47 PM

I've been having exactly this same problem when trying to install a clean install of the authoring tool and framework on a Windows machine using Vagrant. (There's also a post a few days ago March 29th by Ash Flinn who looks to have reported the same problem).

I agree with the bug that's highlighted on github by Matt above. It looks to me like a relatively new version of trickle exists here https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-trickle and that now the version the framework pulled in by Vagrant isn't new enough to support trickle. Can the version number not just be updated in the standard vagrant install setup?

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Wednesday, 6 April 2016, 5:26 PM

Brian Quinn says it will be fixed with the next release of the authoring tool. Says it is imminent, as in tomorrow. But let's be a little forgiving in case an emergency delays it. 

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Thursday, 7 April 2016, 12:16 PM

v0.1.6 of the Authoring Tool has been released. Changelog.

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 7 April 2016, 3:31 PM

Woot!