Sorry you've had problems - but glad you've managed to resolve them.
At this stage of development, the authoring tool install is a fairly technical thing to do, which is why we do recommend you have someone technical to help out if at all possible. As development progresses, it should get easier - but as it is a server-based product, installation is always going to be more complex than installation of a desktop application.
Something to note for the future - if you're having problems you'll make it much easier for people to help you if you state/include:
- whether you're using the Authoring Tool or the framework
- what version(s) you're using
- what you've done up to the point the problems occur
- any screenshots that might prove helpful
- links to any documentation/guidelines you refer to (so anyone reviewing can be sure they are looking at the same thing as you)